[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 488: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 488: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4762: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3897)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4764: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3897)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4765: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3897)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4766: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3897)
TranceHits.com • View topic - "1 on 1" with Mark Otten

"1 on 1" with Mark Otten

One on One interviews done exclusively for TranceHits.com

Moderator: MODs

"1 on 1" with Mark Otten

Postby Shy--Ism » Mon Feb 12, 2007 11:01 pm

House music captured his attention from the start then after good efforts, he got ready to conquer the scene with his unique melodic and emotional music. Supported by famous Djs, Mark Otten marked himself in the Electronic Dance Music scene by producing the finest productions since his early age and greatly merging both worlds of Deep Emotions and the wonderful Dance-floor spirit. Hence keep your eyes on such talented young men like him, as they can deliver us anything that can always exceed our good expectations. Enjoy the interview.

[align=center]Image[/align]

Q01- “While most dance-producers start their careers as DJs, Mark comes from a musician’s side” this was taken off your biography on your site and this fact can surely be noticed in your productions that are rich with melodies, do you feel this gives you an edge over most of the other producers? And do you use hardware intensively in your productions due to this?

That’s funny, just yesterday I was talking to a friend of mine, also a producer, and he said he could hear the musicianship in my dance music. I told him I can only hope it can be heard, it is difficult for me to judge myself. I do try to use any knowledge or experience to create something different. If by using hardware you mean using more real instruments, then yes! I love taking my guitar or even bongos or a shaker. I try to collect as much stuff around me as I can to play live. But in terms of hardware synthesizers and other outboard it doesn’t make any difference I guess. I use a keyboard, which is not the case for every producer. To me that isn’t any better than drawing with a mouse though. It is just different.

Q02- What were your feelings when Armin Van Buuren included your track “Mushroom Therapy” in his Universal Religion vol.1 back in 2003? Do you think it helped you to get a needed exposure by that time?

I think all the support that Armin gave me, also the inclusion in his Essential Mix on BBC Radio 1 and his own radio show etcetera, all helped to get my name out there. This album and the sampler did very well, so I think it played a big role. It was my first track in this style so I definitely could use the exposure. Actually, if it hadn’t been for Armin the track wouldn’t even have been released maybe!

Q03- Your sound is known to be melodic with a progressive drive, something that’s been appreciated by a lot of fans and only produced by a few. What made you go choose such sound for your productions and could we expect another style in the future?

Haha, well maybe the sound chose me! I try to make something that has all the ingredients I personally prefer in music: emotion, groove, melody, warmth. And this is what rolls out, you know. I have always done other styles as well. I think there is a big difference between Halifax – Reveal Your Innocence, and Rio Addicts – Crossroads. And I make a bit of house music as well, I just finished a poppy RnB track and I am currently working on a pop ballad. But these probably won’t be known under my own name.

Q04- “Rio Addicts” is a pure progressive sound from you; can we expect anything similar soon? Is there anything new with this alias?

I do hope to make a new Rio Addicts track soon yes! ‘Crossroads’ is one of my personal favorites and it was very successful so I am planning on releasing a new one soon! It might be pretty soon…

Q05- After your remix of “Novocaine”, are you working on any new productions and when can we expect anything new to get released?

After ‘Novocaine’ I worked with my mate Perry O’Neil. We have had a lot of fun in the studio and this resulted in the next release, called ‘We’re Not Innocent’. It’s already been supported by Armin van Buuren, Markus Schulz and Above and Beyond. It shouldn’t take long before it’s released. People can visit my website (www.markotten.com) to stay up-to-date on this.

Also, I am working in the studio on new dance stuff. Right now I am finishing my university study, so there isn’t a lot of time, but new stuff is coming soon!

Q06- When can we expect a debut album from Mark Otten?

Oof, I often get that question. I would love to do an album, but it would have to be the real thing, with enough budgets to use a big studio and excellent mastering. Up to now there’s been no company suggesting I should make one, but who knows. I would need a lot of time though; I am not a very fast producer haha!

Q07- Do you ever get to play a set as a DJ? If not then don’t you think trying to get into DJ-ing would help your career as most producers nowadays are DJs as well?

Yeah, a lot of guys use their DJ-ing as promotion and it works of course. If I wanted to, I could play gigs too, but up to now I don’t feel I should. At the moment I prefer making different styles of music instead of concentrating on one and promoting that by traveling the world. Mister 007 has taught me to ‘never say never’ though…

Q08- What are some basic advices that you can give to the young producers who are reading this interview?!

Ehm, two things: first of all, make sure you have decent monitors. Properly hearing what you are doing makes a big difference to your productions. Second, don’t be scared to be different. Most new trance music sounds so boring to me and I salute everyone that dares to try new stuff. Trance needs new freshness.

Q09- Do you wish to collaborate with any specific producer in the future?

Not really anyone in particular. I’d love to work with really experienced guys like BT, Junkie XL and such. Also I would love to see house producers like Axwell and Brian Tappert doing their thing in the studio and I would love to attend big pop productions! I was in New York a while ago. Afterwards I found out that some of the tracks of John Mayer’s album ‘Continuum’ were recorded in a studio near Times Square. If I would have known while I was there, I would have loved to at least get a glimpse of that studio and its rooms and equipment!

Q10- So Mark, do you believe that with music one can connect to people all around the world? If so do you have a special message that you want to convey with your music?

I think the facts speak for themselves: there is so much music going all around the world breaking language barriers or any barrier for that matter. The cliché ‘music is the universal language’ really is true to me. There is not a real message in my music though; I just try to make people feel what I put in my music. I want to touch them. No not really, although some…haha. If anything, I want to show them how beautiful the world can be, if that makes sense. I love when people tell me they were moved by a certain track, which never gets boring.

Q11- What are your views on digital downloads and on the whole Mp3 invasion? Do you think it is for the good of the scene and why?

As I just said I believe that music is the universal language and I believe the internet has made this even clearer. Reactions to my music are coming from all over the world nowadays and I am sure it wouldn’t have been the same without the internet. The fact that music can now also be bought on there is a great revolution to me and just means it gets easier and easier to get good music. However, it is a shame that people are taking music for granted by illegally downloading it. Kids are thinking it is normal. But even though Eminem and Beyonce can still make good money lots of smaller artists, producers and record companies are struggling because they are no longer rewarded enough for their efforts. I hope people can be made more aware of the fact that music doesn’t just grow but takes a lot of investing. I would like to suggest to people to at least support smaller or new artists by legally buying their music. But preferably all of course!

Q12- Any final worlds to Trancehits.com members who surely thank you for your time in answering our questions?

Many thanks to you guys at Trancehits.com in the first place for the interest in my music! I hope I can keep giving you what you like in the future. Thanks everyone who supports my music in any way; spinning, buying or just listening!

=============
www.MarkOtten.com
www.myspace.com/markotten
=============
Shy--Ism
Trance Officer
Trance Officer

Postby samer » Tue Feb 13, 2007 1:13 am

finally this one saw the light! :)

great answers from one of my fav. producers..
thanks sarah and welcome back (miss you!)
Never argue with idiots. They bring you down to their level and beat you with experience
samer
AuraLLy WaStEd
AuraLLy WaStEd

Postby Raneem » Tue Feb 13, 2007 2:31 am

Raneem
Ultimate Trancer
Ultimate Trancer

Postby crow » Tue Feb 13, 2007 9:37 am

crow
Trance Officer
Trance Officer

Postby Qulture » Tue Feb 13, 2007 11:08 am

Qulture
Trance FrEaK
Trance FrEaK

Postby Nicoco » Tue Feb 13, 2007 6:49 pm

Logic will get you from A to B. Imagination will take you everywhere
Nicoco
Certified Trancer
Certified Trancer

Postby Immy » Tue Feb 13, 2007 6:57 pm

Immy (The Trance Machine) Project Codename: Trancep
arentalhedonisticorgazm. DANCE LIKE YA DODGIN' BULLETS!!

~~ Signum 'The Timelord'~~ (a State of Trance)
~~ Inertia 'The Chamber' (O' Callaghan Mix)~~ (Digital)
~~ Askew and O' Callaghan 'Game Over'~~ (Digital)
~~ Marcos 'Cosmicstring'~~ (Vandit)
~~ Mark Otten 'Random Walk' (Nu Nrg Mix)
Immy
Often Trancer
Often Trancer

Postby AnT-1 » Wed Feb 14, 2007 2:09 am

AnT-1
Occasional Trancer
Occasional Trancer

Postby DIONYSOS » Wed Feb 14, 2007 5:16 pm

One of my all-time favorite ProgTrance producers! Perhaps one of the things that rank him higher up my ranks is his lack of abundance of releases, probably due to what he said about him being a slow producer... but whenever he releases a production or a remix, it's almost always massive, and that's no small word!
DIONYSOS
Junior Admin
Junior Admin

Postby Proof » Thu Feb 15, 2007 11:14 am

Releases:
- Rodrigo Mateo - Carbon Monoxide (Praveen Achary Remix) [Baires Records]
- Alter Breed - Blue White (Praveen Achary Remix) [Spherax Recordings]
- Praveen Achary - Butterflies [Mirabilis Recordings]
- Praveen Achary - Pull My Legato [MakTub Music]
- Praveen Achary - Crossover (Incl remixes by Fiord, Manuel Sofia (MOS) & Tanseer) [MakTub Music]
Proof
Ultimate Trancer
Ultimate Trancer

Postby Shy--Ism » Fri Feb 16, 2007 1:03 am

Shy--Ism
Trance Officer
Trance Officer

Postby samlbronkowitz » Fri Feb 16, 2007 4:36 pm

AWESOME QUESTIONS BABE!! i especially loved #9 and his answer!!!! Great work :D
Are you ready to go on a musical trip with me, through love...happiness...music....AND PARTY TIME?

Nothing spells success like EXCESS!
samlbronkowitz
Trance FrEaK
Trance FrEaK

Postby Nino » Fri Feb 16, 2007 7:35 pm

Euf i love that guy !! i love his production + i'm not into his style but his work is simply amazing !!
and lol come one man go into Gigs it's big dream of nowdays djs

And so Serene KILLS !
one of my fav tracks

Thx Sarah 4 the gr8 interview...keep them coming
Nino
Certified Trancer
Certified Trancer

Return to 1 on 1