[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 488: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 488: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4762: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3897)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4764: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3897)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4765: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3897)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4766: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3897)
TranceHits.com • View topic - "1 on 1" with Mr. Sam

"1 on 1" with Mr. Sam

One on One interviews done exclusively for TranceHits.com

Moderator: MODs

"1 on 1" with Mr. Sam

Postby Shy--Ism » Tue Oct 24, 2006 2:01 pm

Yet again another successful "1 on 1" interview with one of the top French Djs/Producers, a talented person who marked himself in the early nineties, and mostly known for his innovative sound and hard passion for Music. Introducing the Producer|Remixer: Mr. Sam.

[align=center]Image[/align]

The Interview:

Q01. A new “Mojado” album will be seeing the light very soon along with “Split” a new single (again with Kirsty Hawkshaw), what more can you tell us about these productions? And what do you personally think of Kirsty’s voice?

Mojado’s new album is in the pipeline. We are, Dimitri and me in the middle of the production with it. As we want to come up with a brilliant Electronic Dance Music Album, we wanted to take our time and focusing our energy into the composition. We know how to make a club track for so long that we wanted to push the binderies of sound and composition. MOJADO is now well known by the clubbers and top DJS. Every top DJs played our records. First album has been released on Tiesto’s Magik Muzik label as the first non-Tiesto Artist Album which was an honor for us as you can imagine. We released no less than 5 singles on Magik Muzik, in fact all tracks from the album means we worked so hard on each track that it deserved a release; this is our main goal to release all the tracks we’re producing. Anyway the new MOJADO Album will be a bit different. We’re currently working with very talented singers & writers as well. As I said, we both know how to make a bomb for the clubs. We did it with Naranja, El Toro, Senorita, El Matador, Arena, Rezo, etc…etc… Why could have chosen the easiest way and come up with a clone album like the previous one… but not we want to achieve producing a modern and enjoyable album where the composition will take a biggest place than in the first one. The first album was dedicated to the clubbers. This second opus will be friendlier but still with the typical MOJADO sounds. Our fans won’t be disappointed but we will go deeper than deeper as well. We want to show our skills and as we’re getting wiser, we love to really have the control on what we produced as well. Lets say that the album will be a natural follow to “Arena’” but better produced and much more musical while always having the MOJADO sound to it…
Now regarding my own new single “SPLIT” feat Kirsty Hawkshaw, this is another story. It is part of my Artist Album “Lyteo” which has been released early this year. It is in fact the 4th single of the album. We’ve remixes coming from Jonas Steur, Aly & Fila, T4l and I did an exclusive Interpretation of it which will feature on the “Interpretations” remix album of Lyteo. We did shoot a video for Split as well.
I just can say that the Video is awesome. Shooting a video in 16mn on films is rare nowadays. It was done outdoors for 3 days together with Kirsty & me of course. Was really fun to do it but also very professional. We couldn’t mess up all time because it is on films and we had to take care of it also. The result is mind blowing and it will be available within a few weeks now.
This is my second video after “Insight”, also with Kirsty. It is great to be able to make video. It gives the people another view or idea of your work and the track also. It helps for sure to share emotions. We did the video with exactly the same feelings we had while recording the song. We wanted to express our own deepest feelings through it, and trying to avoid to cliché video and marketing stuff.
I love this single and I’m pretty that many will love it as well. It is really different to what I did in the past and really a nice song rather than a track. Big Djs are already supporting the track, especially Armin van Buuren who is already playing it a lot. Thanks to him by the way.

Q02. Knowing that you love doing vocal tracks, in your opinion what are currently the best vocals to work with? Anyone in specific that you wish you would be able to work with?

Well it is true that I love working with vocals. I do always love instrumental but in my opinion, vocals are adding the human factor which is really important in music. That could be a small vocal hook or a full verse or chorus….I need this when I produce music. I always loved it.
I had the chance to work with great singers, for my original tracks but also for numerous remixes I did. It is quite hard to choose the best singer, each of them is having his or hew own qualities. I did enjoy working with Sinead O’Connor on the Ghostland “Guide Me God” remix. I love Kirsty Hawkshaw as well as Rani from Delerium !
If I could choose now a singer I can work with…it will directly be Lisa Gerard from Dead Can Dance!! Don’t ask me twice. I can die for it… I’ve no word to describe how I love her.

Q03. "Interpretations" is a double CD remix album of Lyteo that it’s currently in the making, when can we expect it to be released? Will it features new productions or only remixes?

« Interpretations » is as you said a double CD remix album of my Artist Album « Lyteo ». Due to the success of the album and the singles, I’ve decided to come up with this double remix album. Usually labels releasing remix albums are simply using the remixes which have been done for the previous singles and in fact, it is more as a compilation for the remixes. For « Interpretations », this is completely different. The album contains 20 remixes on 2 Cds. All in their full length version, not edited at all, so perfect for the DJs and the collectors.
16 remixes have been done only and exclusively for the remix album. Only 4 have been already released but are classic like the Rank 1 remix of Lyteo, and I couldn’t forget to add them to it naturally. On each cd you’ll then find 10 remixes. You’ll also find an extra bonus track called « SMEYA » I did with Tim Coltrane. Its not a usual track for me and it sounds really well; Tiesto already played it a few times during his sets as ID ! About the remixes on the album, you’ll find many styles such as house, trance, progressive, techno, electro but also accoustic with a big surprise for the opener of the cd, the first track of the CD 1. I did ask the remixers I love. I chose all of them. I can’t deny that it was hell of a job to do this album, especially 20 remixes. At the end, it gave me so much joy !! I also did the photos for the booklet (like I did on Lyteo). I love doing that. I like to deliver a true personal work. I did the artwork with my designer Christophe. For me, my work is like my child, I need to be on every step of the building up, I can’t leave it… I need to accompany it till the end.
I can tell you that it wasn’t easy for me to give my tracks away for remixes. I’ve myself done lots of remixes for the others but when it comes to you, things are different. I wanted the remixers to feel free but I also told them also to respect the original work. Now that its finished, I can say that I’m very proud of what the remixers have done.
This album is dedicated to the music lovers, they’ll easily notice the hard work in it and the research as well. People nowadays can see when a project was really well worked or fastly done. People are not stupid at all. They know where the truth is. I always wanted to deliver a great work for the fans.
I already got tones of emails asking when the album will be released. It will be released early 2007 as it will be released at the same time in a few countries on different lablels, so watch out !!!

Q04. It is quite noticeable how many different sounds existed in your latest album “Lyteo”. To what do you owe such variety in music? Is it due to your early influences or the fact that you don’t like to limit yourself in a specific sound?

It is both at the same time in fact. I don’t like to be labeled. I’m doing music, not only trance or techno or even house. I like pushing the boundaries with all I do. For “Lyteo” I wasn’t having any rules at all. I did some breakbeat, house, trance, techno, classical and even world music. I can’t see myself producing the same style of music again & again…it is a devoid of interest in my opinion.
I like to merge all kind of music together exactly when you’re cooking and adding new ingredients etc…only to see how it could sound like at the end. It is all about curiosity I guess.
I’m doing exactly the same with Mojado or Mr. Sam. Sometimes I can see a Mr. Sam track being on the Mojado album and the opposite as well…
Eventually, only the music and the quality count not the style!

Q05. What equipment do you currently use in your productions? Any special advices you would like to give to new producers?

Nowadays you can work and record music only with a computer. It wasn’t possible at all 10 years ago or was really expensive so restricted to certain people. It is much more democratic now. We all basically use the same kind of equipment I guess: A mix between soft & hardware. At the end, only the man behind the machines counts not the equipment. I think in this mode, only the talent counts. I know a lot of big producers who are working with basically not equipment than a computer and they’re releasing awesome music.
An advice for young producers… Do what you think right and the World is yours!

Q06. For someone who started early in music and followed up the evolution in trance throughout all this time, what are in your opinion the differences between the current trance music sound and the old one? Do you see this evolution going in the right way?!

I should say that before the sound was and still is different. I’m not all time comparing things to what they were in the past. Music is not changing, just evolving. In trance, the sound changed its true. We’re hearing less and less this Euphoric Leads and arpeggios but well when a good one it is done I am loving it as well, who cares? You can call it whatever you want but for me a good track is always the same, good grooves, bassline, melody & vocals (or not)…the rest is politics and discussions. The Electro hype sound of the moment is something I already heard 10 years ago, same for minimal. They didn’t create anything but just recycling the sound and make it hype again. I do sometimes play some Electro or Minimal records because as I said earlier I’m open to a lot of style.
Trance is taking a nice direction the latest times, more quality and more melodic than the previous years.. Melodies seem to be back again! I’m glad of it.
Some Djs are sometimes a bit afraid or ashamed to say that they’re playing Trance. Why should they? Me, I don’t care. A good Euphoric Trance track, I play it!!! I don’t play commercial Trance etc.. but I do play Trance music. This is also some cheesy house or Electro tracks.. in every style but no one is ashamed to say that they’re playing house or Electro so why some Djs are ashamed to say they’re playing Trance…Explain me I’m lost !
I’m only speaking about myself but I am predicting a huge come back to real Trance in 2007.

Q07. Nowadays so many new producers are emerging, and with the easier ways of producing and distributing productions to the masses almost everyone got a chance to be heard. What are your feelings about that and do you think the increase in productions is helping music in general?

As I said earlier, making music is nowadays easier and cheaper than 10 years ago. It’s a fantastic step in “Music Democracy”. Many young talented producers can show their real skills, it’s a good thing. I recently did a remix contest for “Lodestar” in collaboration with Black Hole. I wanted to do it to give young producers who don’ get the exposure they deserved a chance to show their skills. We received more than 100 remixes which show how hard it is for many young artists to a chance to be heard.
I finally choose two young upcoming artists. One is only 17 years and the other a bit older but none of them is known at all. They’ll have the chance to feature on the “Interpretations” remix album.
They’re many talented young producers, be sure. In the other hands I also noticed that so many digital labels are releasing average records because its costing them nothing at all and then the quality goes down every time. Let us say that they should release less and better records.

Q08. In our today's century, technology occupies a huge space in our interests, and frequently helps in the world's evolution. Do you also find the technology an important element for the general music improvement? Why?

We can’t deny that Technology in general is an improvement. With all the possibilities we have now to produce music, listen to music, sharing music as well is fantastic and definitely helping the Music itself to evolve. We’re blessed to live in this time. We’ve to take care of one thing. Not being blinded by the technologic side of the things. Music reminds the most important thing at the end. We can’t deny technology and must follow it, its natural evolution and I’m pretty sure that it will be easier and easier to listen, producer or share music wherever you may be in the future. We’re all MUSIC!

Q09. Heard you used to work as A&R manager for the Belgian n.e.w.s. distribution record company, can you tell us more about that and its impact on you as a Producer and a Dj?

Sure, it was a great experience for me, especially when I was only 24 years old. I worked on projects like Delerium, Bob Sinclar, Rui da Silva, D Note, and many others. I was responsible for the A&R and the release of the records. It gave me a great global idea of how the Music business is working. For sure its helping me nowadays in all the new projects I’m having, I can’t deny it. It gave me the realistic approach of a concept; how work it out, to make it working well also. When you’re young, you think that all is possible etc…but when you’re getting older you realize that this is not that easy that you thought. In my head, I’m still a child who dreams everyday. To see my dreams becoming true I need to know how the system works and then work in the direction to achieve it. When you play a ‘Playstation’ game, to achieve finishing the game, you need to know the rules, how to play. In life in general or in music it is exactly the same. They’re some rules you need to learn. Music industry isn’t that easy to manage sometimes. We need to be really reactive, really patient as well and need to propose the labels interesting projects to work on! You need to be creative and original but you also need to know how to do it. It is not an easy task and most of the time chance is part of the success and you can’t create it, sometimes you have to be really patient also.
Its all in one I should say. There isn’t a miraculous recipe…there is maybe billions of ways to achieve doing a great career in music. What I can advice …Working hard, always believing, never giving up and follow your instinct…for the rest, its politics.

-So currently do you consider yourself more like a Dj or a Producer?

Like most of my colleagues I started as a DJ because it was the first way I had to get in touch with music. Years after years, records after records, Djing & Producing are beginning to be inseparable like fingers from the hand. I can’t see myself only doing one of them. If I had to choose, it will be very difficult. Its given each a different feeling that you can’t compare to the other. When you’re in studio you’re composing and then you’re creative. You can take your time as well. Djing is different, you’ve to convince in 1hour, 2hours or a bit more… You need then to be really efficient and make the crowd moving.

Going on Tour or Djing is like an award after all the hard work who did in Studio, finally sharing your energy in front of the audience. When you’re alone in the studio its sometimes difficult to visualize the people in front of you when you’re doing a track. So when you’re djing a lot it is certainly an advantage for making good club records because you’re updated every week. I LOVE TO DJ more than everything, its an unique moment. It is not only playing the records in the club. It’s a full story. Its first the place you flying to, the people who are meeting, the club you’re playing in, the clubbers’ welcome you’ve etc…its all in one!!
As I did record a lot in 2006 I didn’t find anytime to play as much as I wanted. DJing is my first love and I will do more gigs by now that my album has been released and all singles as well. The Mojado album is nearly finished as well so we’ll surely do some Mojado Live in 2007 also. Be prepared.
I’d like to add that I’ve my own weekly radio show in France, the biggest of the country on Contact.
You can catch “Made in Trance” every Saturday from 01h – 03h and on Sunday from 22h00 till 00h00.
http://www.contactmusic.fr/Radio/Mr-Sam.php5 : For playlists, info & more.

Q10. What was your first impression about the dance music scene in Lebanon after your performance in Beirut at b018, year 2005? Would you return to play if asked to?

My trip in Beirut is something I will never forget, believe me. I do love this country. I still have friends over there with who I’m chatting from time to time. I had the chance to discover a great country. We went by car away from the city to discover some nice places...I was completely under the charm. It is such a beautiful place with great people. As I’m French, I did like it even more. Lebanese people are basically all speaking French and it was great to communicate in this way especially when you are far away from home. I loved being there and won’t think twice to come back!! Be sure!!
Yalla Habibi !! :)

Q11. Taking into consideration the last tragic events that Lebanon went through, do you think music can contribute in spreading peace, understanding and acceptance all around the world? What message would you like to convey in your music?

This war in Lebanon is a tragedy in my opinion. I was shocked like most of all to see the images on Television. I do definitely think that Music is somewhere a form of Politic. I saw so many happy faces when I came to play in Lebanon. So by my music I can bring some joy over there, YES Music can help people in their everyday life. At least for me Music has neither colors nor religions. United as one!
I can’t say I’m trying to convey any message in my music. I’m doing the music and everyone is having his or her own interpretations of it. I do prefer to the people to interpret my music like they want.I don’t need to tell them what to think, they’re free to think what they want.

Q12. Envision this scenario: you are spinning at the very last gig of your DJ career, and a crowd of thousands from all around the world has gathered to bid you farewell. You deliver the set of your life, blowing the minds of all your fans, though the time has come for you to step down. But before you do, one last track needs to be played out, the track that would be engraved in history as Mr. Sam’s final offering to his followers. What is that one single track you would select?

BT – Mercury & Solace for 1000% sure. No need to say more.

Q13. Aside from music, what are Mr. Sam’s hobbies? And how does he usually spend his free time?

I’m a big fan of history & Italy. I do love Antique! I’ve been 4 times in Italy in a year and a half; I love paintings, photography, classical Music, going to concerts. I love art in general and I’m a very curious person as well. I love to learn or discover something I don’t know. I’m up to get myself Italian lessons as well. I love this language more than everything. I’m maybe the biggest fan of ROME ever . Loving this town at a point that I would certainly finished my life in Italy!

Q14. What do you personally think of DJ Mag’s yearly voting?

I’m torn between several opinions. First it’s a good thing because it democratic that everyone can vote for his favorite djs. In the other hand, when I do see many Djs on this famous TOP 100 who are doing nothing as records artists or even as DJ I’m wondering why they’re on it.
It is exactly like you’re asking people to vote for you in Politics (without talking about the huge spam campaigns made especially for this DJ MAG!! No need to say more, everyone understands what I talking about) and when you’re elected you’ve no program at all…where is the interest to do that? I don’t know! That’s the trap of that kind of Poll of course. You can’t even how much emails I got this year for the DJ MAG. If you think twice, you can’t be part of the top 100 if you’re not spamming. This is as simple as this. Imagine you’re a U2 fan and MTV is doing the same kind of Pool, you must be aware that the poll has been organized first to be able to cast your vote and you need to know also where and how to vote… So if they aren’t being spammed, how can the U2 fans can know about it?
I think DJ MAG had a good idea in the past to do it. Top 100 in the past were for my part close to reality the last few years. Now with MSN, MySpace and all Forums community, it is becoming more a challenge to who’s going to get the more vote (don’t care if he isn’t release record or djing ..) I do think it’s a shame. It will be glad to see someone very good in spamming getting voted nr 1, really. This will prove that the system is perfect at all. Of course, I’m not denying the top 10 or top 50 but if you look to it well, many people shouldn’t have been there. Most of the DJs on this top 10 or 50 really deserve where they are. They’re for sure the best dj or producers (sometimes both) of the actual Dance Scene and I’ve the biggest respect for them because without them we weren’t there now if they weren’t before us.
I can’t suggest DJ MAG anything but maybe they could think of doing an Artist TOP 100 instead of DJ TOP 100. I know this is their magazine name but.. I need to say also that I love this Magazine a lot, buying every month and that the reporters are doing a great job. This is for you’re the World Fist Dance Magazine.
Last but not least, we’ve in France Star Academy who is a kid of POP IDOLS. Last year, the winner, a “fat” girl won. She won because the people votes massively for her compare to her competitors who were all like models etc.. She wasn’t having a huge voice or charisma but only got the votes.
Universal France, the record company which is releasing the album from the winner have been trapped into their own game because the album was a terrible Flop with only 20.000 copies sold while the previous winners were at least selling around 500.000 copies !! So maybe the question they were asking themselves was ‘where are the hundreds of thousands of people who votes for her? Why don’t they buy the album?” The Answer is easy. They voted for the wrong reason! This is what it is happening for the DJ MAG TOP 100 sometimes.
I don’t want to blame them at all because they’re doing a great job. But I guess they should think a bit more about this thing in the future, especially when most of the unknown producers and djs are having their names mentioned in the TOP 100, and then using it for self promotion only.
I’ve respect for Music and people working in the Music business as well as the music Lovers & clubbers all around the world and I’m pretty sure that most of them are quite clever enough to see where the truth is. Rankings do not count, only the music and the people doing the Music are. Don’t simply put a Nr on an artist please ! Its much more than this.

Q15. Any final words to the Lebanese clubbers and TranceHits.com members who thank you for your time responding to this interview?

No problem, it is my pleasure. I’m glad I could share my opinions and ideas on same subjects. I hope to be back soon in Lebanon to spend another great time with the Lebanese people! Promoters…get in touch with me!!! I know that Lebanese people are strong and I wish them all the best for the future in this great country…
See you all soon,
Love,

Mr. Sam

TranceHits.com Crew: Thank you for your time and wish you all the best in the music business. :)

For more information:
www.myspace.com/mrsam_tv - www.mrsam.tv
For contact & Booking:
sam@mrsam.tvbooking@mrsam.tv

Mr. Sam’s forthcoming Interpretations remix album will be released in early 2007 as a 2XCD album.
Mr. Sam’s new single SPLIT featuring Kirsty Hawkshaw will be released in a few weeks with remixes from Jonas Steur, T4L, Aly & Fila & Mr. Sam himself. The video of SPLIT will be online in a few time on Mr. Sam’s MySpace page only.

Links:
www.blackholerecordings.com
www.myspace.com/mrsam_tv
www.myspace.com/blackholerecordings
Shy--Ism
Trance Officer
Trance Officer

Postby crow » Tue Oct 24, 2006 3:43 pm

Thanks for the interview Shy :)
p.s: happy eid
crow
Trance Officer
Trance Officer

Re: "1 on 1" with Mr. Sam

Postby Icepick » Tue Oct 24, 2006 3:46 pm

once upon a time there was a boy that was born to make a change in this cruel world of mortals. this boy became a man and this man became old and died. thats about it..
Icepick
Fulltime Trancer
Fulltime Trancer

Postby TrancApex » Tue Oct 24, 2006 4:05 pm

TrancApex
Often Trancer
Often Trancer

Postby sj » Tue Oct 24, 2006 4:33 pm

sj
Occasional Trancer
Occasional Trancer

Postby RocK » Tue Oct 24, 2006 6:17 pm

" Ashes to Ashes, Dust to Dust, In Trance We Trust! "
RocK
Often Trancer
Often Trancer

Postby DJ Plasm-A » Tue Oct 24, 2006 10:12 pm

10x Sarah u always come with new interviews!!
gr8 job! keep it up!
Look Over There! :shock: A Rogue Wave Coming!!
.In The Higher Vibrational Dimensions, Words And Thoughts Are Replaced By Clear, Unbroken TONES!
..For Those Who Know TRANCE, No Explanation Is Necessary. . . For Those Who Do Not, No Explanation Will Suffice
...Religion Is For The People Who Are Afraid Of Hell, Spirituality Is For Those Who Have Been There.
DJ Plasm-A
New Trancer
New Trancer

Postby Spyro » Tue Oct 24, 2006 10:27 pm

HardStyle
Spyro
Often Trancer
Often Trancer

Postby samer » Tue Oct 24, 2006 11:53 pm

Never argue with idiots. They bring you down to their level and beat you with experience
samer
AuraLLy WaStEd
AuraLLy WaStEd

Postby pTq » Wed Oct 25, 2006 12:55 am

pTq
Fulltime Trancer
Fulltime Trancer

Postby DIONYSOS » Wed Oct 25, 2006 12:06 pm

DIONYSOS
Junior Admin
Junior Admin

Postby samlbronkowitz » Wed Oct 25, 2006 12:10 pm

Are you ready to go on a musical trip with me, through love...happiness...music....AND PARTY TIME?

Nothing spells success like EXCESS!
samlbronkowitz
Trance FrEaK
Trance FrEaK

Postby reemze » Fri Oct 27, 2006 1:43 am

reemze
Certified Trancer
Certified Trancer

Postby TrancApex » Fri Oct 27, 2006 5:07 pm

[quote=sj]10x for z interview man
gr88 job [/quote]

Shy is a lovely lady :)