[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 488: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 488: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 384: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4762: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3897)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4764: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3897)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4765: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3897)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4766: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3897)
TranceHits.com • View topic - Review: Nick Warren & Hernan Cattaneo, Lebanon [08.05.2010]

Review: Nick Warren & Hernan Cattaneo, Lebanon [08.05.2010]

Reviews and pictures of all EDM events.

Moderator: MODs

Review: Nick Warren & Hernan Cattaneo, Lebanon [08.05.2010]

Postby Shy--Ism » Sun May 09, 2010 8:18 pm

I don’t know what to begin with. The fact that I’m still in an extended recovery mode makes me realize that indeed, that was a truly monumental rave. Yes, ‘rave’! Everyone had been anticipating the night as one wholly progressive house treat. Yet it wasn’t only about genuine proggy music, but it also consisted of a striking mixture of various electronic music sounds that left most of us utterly flabbergasted.

Kicking off with our locals Diamond Setter & Jade, both DJs offered a high-pitched warm-up set introducing minor deep house elements mixed with heavy techy bass lines throughout their performance. Diamond Setter’s few opening tracks featured oriental sounds, which was followed by enchanting melodies dropped by Jade. They played few tracks with acapellas/vocals that kept the crowd dancing in the early hours. Not my favorite warmup though.

Nicksy (English presenter from NRJ) introduced Nick Warren as soon as the DJ took over decks. Nick Warren’s set was sheer mint, started off with a moderate standard of beats per minutefor the first thirty minutes and couldn’t last any longer until he dropped some techno beats with massive progressive house tracks in a successive manner. A particular track, with quite solid dark and swift beats reminded me of my best rave ever, the one where Nick Warren performed at alongside Juan Carbon in 2006 at the Old Train Station; that reminder offered a grand feeling and I benefited from every single minute of his set. He dropped some of Way Out West’s notorious productions, and of course his skillful Djing techniques made it sound as if tracks were re-produced or actually re-worked. Nick Warren closed his set with a stunning Electronica track which touched the crowd, and eventually paved the road for yet another journey with Hernan Cattaneo. Well done!

We were blessed to witness the Argentinean artist going back to his Latin–American roots and transporting Buenos Aires’ vivid spirit quite easily to Beirut city. It was fresh, sexy, danceable and most of all he presented a musical set of high caliber. Hernan Cattaneo released a moving intro as soon as he put his headphones on. You could feel the immense energy circulating around and lastly completing an elegant sequence of some charming affection shared and cherished by the crowd. It was mostly about progressive house music (his productions too ... some incorporated melodies, ear-catching loops) except for a couple astonishing interventions mid-way his mix. Again, Cattaneo has never ceased to impress me as a live Dj, thus I seriously got pleasure of every moment of his musical delicacy. I couldn’t fully listen to Hernan Cattaneo’s set since I had to leave, however I have a strong feeling that people ended up leaving the venue on wheel chairs.

As for Ali Ajami, I’d really appreciate if any of those who lasted longer and listened to the afterhours to give us a constructive feedback about Ali’s performance. The guy is talented and I love his music ever since he used to hold a residency in Boston. So yes, any comment about the closing set would be highly appreciated.

Lights were off the hook. Seriously I could stand on my terrace far away and watch the gorgeous purple-blue lights, and 4 gigantic spotlights directed towards the sky.
Lasers were incredibly wicked with their special effects.

The Dj-booth is just as trippy as an alien spaceship. Two separated LED cube-shaped material revealing crazy visuals synchronized with two projecting screens situated to the sides.

Sound system was great, it was also very clear in the V/VIP area.
Bars were easily accessible due to a good service. The security men were fair and polite.

The huge tent is just another rave-feeling material.

Crowd was hmm … good. Not at its best, not at its worse, just good.

Honestly, the only drawback I can come up with is that it was really crowded in both V/VIP sections.

Thank you Poliakov for such a mesmerizing gig, having listened to two of my favorite DJs on one single night is such a privilege.
The Music was New, black polished Chrome and came over the summer like liquid Night ...
Shy--Ism
Trance Officer
Trance Officer

Re: Review: Nick Warren & Hernan Cattaneo, Lebanon [08.05.20

Postby DiabloK » Mon May 10, 2010 9:48 am

shy, you've said it all!

Thumbs up to Poliakov who had to change the venue one month before the event when the elections were announced and thus, had to change set up and organization, bring a 15 mins tent from Dubai etc. They did such a great job transforming Marina in the best venue i have ever witnessed (with Train Station). Technically, it was very classy, from LEDs, to DJ booth, to lighting and went so well with the genre played that night.
Personally, loved the crowd. For once at a house party in Lebanon, there was a good percentage of women vs men :P happy crowd, almost no wazawiz, not a single fight. It reminded me of the A&B 2009 crowd. check the pix ;) http://www.facebook.com/l.php?u=http%3A ... 2F&h=385cb

Music wise, Jade & DS set was ok, i preferred their Cosmic Gate warmup though. Nick Warren, well waaaw, i missed such a quality prog, the epic touch, really loved the class, though you have to be a prog house freak to like it. Hernan's set was wild and rough, the Hernan sound. As per the organizers, Nick and Hernan coordinated their playlists before the gig and it showed and Nick kept us hungry for beats, and Hernan took it from there. Ali Ajami: i was too exhausted by the 5 hours of non-stop music and left at around 5:30, Hernan was finishing his set.

The kind of parties you leave satisfied, with body aching from continuous dancing, and a big big smile :)
1st House gig organized by Poliakov this year, and yes, they did it with elegance, big well deserved success! Waiting for the Djs DJ impatiently, it's gonna be wild with Danny T dirty, darkish-happy house :D

few videos:

BNL's production showing interview with the DJs:

A nice review: http://ginosblog.com/2010/05/09/nick-wa ... eo-review/
And if your head explodes with dark forebodings too
Ill see you on the dark side of the moon
DiabloK
Occasional Trancer
Occasional Trancer

Postby Qulture » Mon May 10, 2010 11:28 am

Thats it ~!! i am sick of missing out on such great events .... FML !!!

Whats the track in the last video ? the original review from beirut night life ??
Qulture
Trance FrEaK
Trance FrEaK

Postby ziz00_909 » Mon May 10, 2010 11:30 am

I can't Believe i missed it :cry: ..

anyways glad to hear all those positive reviews..and it looks like Poliakov took it to the next level in terms of organisation.. :D Great to here that..noticeably from opposing teams too!!..

Thanks for the Videos Diablok..!
naturally Artificial!
ziz00_909
Certified Trancer
Certified Trancer

Postby DiabloK » Mon May 10, 2010 11:48 am

^ my pleasure :) thx to the beautiful ... for uploading ;)

Nick's intro, announced by Nicksy from NRJ. btw, Nicksy use to announce big rock events in the UK, such as U2. Am sure he will fine tune his future announcement to fit better EDM gigs ;)

http://www.facebook.com/video/video.php?v=393855373258

nb: for Danny T's event, expect an even wilder set up, a wider sound and GREAT sexy DANCERS straight from Ibiza!
DiabloK
Occasional Trancer
Occasional Trancer

Postby samer » Mon May 10, 2010 1:44 pm

looks like it was an amazing event!!
thanks for the gorgeous review Sarah! :)
Never argue with idiots. They bring you down to their level and beat you with experience
samer
AuraLLy WaStEd
AuraLLy WaStEd

Postby DIONYSOS » Mon May 10, 2010 5:20 pm

I've always dreamt of a PURE PROGRESSIVE rave and this dream finally came true!

Warren was just Warren, with his usual trippy melodies, big kicks, and irregular basslines. I really enjoyed the flow of his set, and was surprised to hear him shift to Techno at some point, with sprinkles of Tech House here and there, then back to his classic ProgHouse sound. He played a much more diverse set than the last time I heard him in Dubai. A true A-class DJ!

Cattaeno honestly surprised me as I'm not (or wasn't until Saturday) a big fan of him - I actually ended up enjoying his set even more than Warren's! Apparently his sound today is very close to mine, so it felt like I was tuned in to my own show. He's definitely made it to my love list now!

Everything else was PERFECT; seriously perfect. There's nothing I enjoy more than an outdoor rave, so I felt right at home. The sound and light were a step up from our last event too. I agree with Shy about over-crowded VIP/VVIP sections... but what can we do, people love our events :mrgreen:

And as usual it was great partying again with some of the nation's truest ravers - you know who you are!

So MUCHO KUDOS time and time again for Poliakov & NRJ for pulling through yet another mega success! Tenaglia is almost a month away and we've got much expectation to live up to... I can't wait!

Welcome to the summer of Poliakov & NRJ ;)
DIONYSOS
Junior Admin
Junior Admin

Postby TRANCED » Mon May 10, 2010 7:15 pm

Amazing night indeed!

Venue: It's always nice to see new and creative set ups with the redundancy of events these days. And even though many have already been held in Marina Dbayeh, yet this venue was completely and geniusly transformed into one of the best I've been to.
The half-tent set up managed to give a feeling of a fancy club, especially at the vip section.

Music: Not my cup of tea at all. Although Cattaneo did manage to impress me a bit, yet it all remain too dry for my taste. For the genre lovers, I'm sure they had a blast.

Event Management: Excellent. Honestly, I think this event had the nicest staff I ever met during a rave.

Dancers: No comment! *Whistles* haha.. I personally oved those with colorful skirts.

All in all, a lovely night that allowed me to meet some of my old friends, and an event that raised the bar for upcoming ones!
Summer is here!!

NEXT!
[size=85][color=#400000]
TRANCED
Recklessly Wild
Recklessly Wild

Postby tarantula » Mon May 10, 2010 7:55 pm

Well you said it all, but i think Jade's set was too fast as an opener for Warren's who played lower bpm tracks. There was some people under the age of 18 who watched a live erotic show performed by the strippers ... sorry i mean dancers 8) Victoria Sylvestd was one of them, no? :lol:
tarantula
Occasional Trancer
Occasional Trancer

Postby mzy » Mon May 10, 2010 9:01 pm

Jade & Diamond Setter .... ma32oul ? is this a warm up ?? especially for someone like Warren or Cattaneo ... chou hayda ? they even played a trancy track ! lol .... they looked like amateurs, seriously ... went too high playing techno?!?!?! at the end ...

Warren : his set was ok, I didn't like the first few tracks, it was not Warren's sound (I'm sure it was bcoz of the warm-up), it got better after few tracks when he started playing his prog sound with a touch of tech house... Warren's set was good. I was expecting more though ... he played some tracks that sounded really old, proggy with cheesy female vocals... Warren's last track was amazing though, it was a cool moment, very happy track (Way Out West - We Love Machine). Nick was having fun ..

Cattaneo : started with his usual touch, deep proggy with basslines, you could feel the energy when he started his set... the first part of his set was a bit mellow but I enjoyed it... the last hour was pure heaven, I loved it... it was mainly progressive house with some techno (he played Gabe & D-Nox - Cala A Boca). cattaneo dropped some amazing tracks towards the end, it was not 'energetic', it was more 'emotional' ... some track cattaneo played, King Unique - 2 Million Suns, Saint & Sinners - Pushin Too Hard (Nic Fanciulli Rmx) , Cirez D - Bauerpost , Alex Dolby - City Shark (16 Bit Lolitas Remix)

Sounds was good, Setup was really good, I liked it. the tent, lasers, strobe, lights everything was great, there was enough space for everyone to dance and relax on the 'gradin'
VJ ktir wozz but apart the "wel3ane - yalla yalla - akhou maniouke etc ... "
the visuals were fine, and someone should kill that MC, ktir wozz kamen ...
organisation was very good... crowd seemed dead, maybe bcoz they couldn't get what they were looking for... and someone said that there was an equal ratio of girl/boy ?!?!?! well that's gotta be in the VIP bcoz in the regular it was 10guys/1girl ...
couldn't stay for Ali Ajami but I was told that he played House/Tech House and it was good.
Good job poliakov...
Tenaglia now is not the Tenaglia of before... he's more a clown now ... but I think I'm gonna attend, the line-up is good, Nicole Moudaber warming up :) , will finally get to see her in a big venue
Minimal/Techno it is...
mzy
Certified Trancer
Certified Trancer

Postby DiabloK » Mon May 10, 2010 9:36 pm

DiabloK
Occasional Trancer
Occasional Trancer

Postby ziz00_909 » Mon May 10, 2010 10:21 pm

naturally Artificial!
ziz00_909
Certified Trancer
Certified Trancer

Postby crow » Mon May 10, 2010 11:32 pm

Awesome! Awesome! Awesome!

Glad everyone had tons of fun. I would have killed to be there :)
crow
Trance Officer
Trance Officer

Postby DiabloK » Tue May 11, 2010 7:26 am

a 3 mins lovely new one:

DiabloK
Occasional Trancer
Occasional Trancer