Review: Richie Hawtin live at Biel, Beirut (30.10.2009)

Reviews and pictures of all EDM events.

Moderator: MODs

Review: Richie Hawtin live at Biel, Beirut (30.10.2009)

Postby Shy--Ism » Sun Nov 01, 2009 3:05 am

Ever since I’ve known Richie Hawtin, the music he plays and produces, and how far above the usual his technical skills can attain, I realized that I will be involved in an extended musical experience with this distinguished DJ. Starting with his early 1989 shows on the radio likes of Power 96 FM, and throughout the nineties up till now, this particular artist has been marking a valuable progress in Electronic Music whether through founding labels (Plus 8, M_nus ..) or by his recent live mixing applications. I among other listeners, have been requesting Hawtin’s performance in Beirut for a quite long time. However eventually, the request was successfully fulfilled!

Gunther & Stamina opened for the main set, by warming up so delightfully with stylish music that I haven’t heard them play for a long time! I was personally surprised and astonished, as those two guys delivered an amusing built-up set for this awaited night, unlike what I have heard them drop in other nights for the past two years. Fortunately both of them showed great techniques and a fine obvious cooperation. I arrived to the venue at around 12:45, hence I could only make it to the last part of your warm-up. Well done guys.

The guy with the blond fringe stepped in the DJ-booth area, while two laptops and big XONE were middle-settled and already on stand-by mode. Richie Hawtin kicked off with a beautiful minimal/techno opening setting up the right mood for a long journey and incorporating catchy vocals/acapellas. We knew right from the beginning that we are already in for a lengthy and rich musical treat. Solid mixing pleasantly flowing regardless of several effects and how many elements are engaged. A hard techno base surging and all the way opening up for side derivatives like essential Minimal, Tribal-ish House, Acid and Tech house, streaming a mutual dialog between us and the DJ himself. Plastikman, Circuit Breaker,F.U.S.E, Robotman, … Richie Hawtin blotched a presence of almost all his phases, therefore a special diversity within selected tracks turned out quite efficient: concentrated bass, deep minimal groove, short melodies, oriental influences and a striking acid flavor staining the whole ambience. Absolutely danceable, cheeky music and mind tease. Out of all the sets I’ve heard from him, this one had to be the best as seen from my angle, and it proved my theory that Richie Hawtin’s music cannot be randomly judged through laptop speakers, a car sound system or a ‘youtube’ link. On the contrary, Richie Hawtin’s music is definitely experimental; his digital mixing is so particular. So special that it makes you dance, interact with it, and get pleasure of every single beat loudly amplified in a club where you are surrounded by good people. The guy is a genius people, with an A&H XONE 92 mixer and two running laptops on seperate programs, he could deliver seven hours of non-stop striking music that left most of us speechless, and a mixture of three to four tracks where outstanding loops along side intelligent effects drew facial blissful grins that lasted for so long. I just hope Richie enjoyed it as much as we did.

The sound system in the V/VIP areas was good; we were able to have the benefit of listening to astonishing music while chit-chatting whenever it’s possible. However the regular’s was as usual the real deal. Yet, nothing tops a well spaced corridor right in front of the DJ-booth!

The crowd was responsive as well as energetic. A fair good crowd quality that I haven’t seen at gigs ever since Above & Beyond organized by Poliakov and NRJ in July 2009. I could even spend time in the regular section slightly above the usual average and don’t be instantly bothered. However, we always have exceptions which are a normal fact. Probably many of them pulled it off in entering the venue because of a disguise, ah well …

Lights & Lasers were good, the green and blue spectrum clicks exactly with my taste and suits Hawtin’s music. The stroboscope effect mixed with acid sounds added a lot of pleasurable wickedness.

Setup: Not too much to talk about, very simple and technically cost-free but I liked the V/VIP elevations offering a great view of the dancefloor. I visited the balcony sides which were in a cozy disposition, however some people were too stuck-up and barely moving since now and then. Hence I barely lasted there and joined back my friends again. The big screen in the middle, with 4 to 6 little screens in parallel around, was good enough to display Kaa’s well done VJing.

The drawing on the right side seen from the DJ-booth reflected high artistic skills of “Diane Ayoub”. Well done girl. However, I insist again that this is not an exhibition hall, and in my opinion the artist should get more recognition than this, especially that most of the audience wasn’t paying too much attention. Obviously realistic because music is at an averagely high tempo which keeps almost everyone preoccupied.

Finally, I had the chance that I’ve always been asking for: experiencing a performance by this pioneer in Electronic Music. And what a HAWT performance that was! There was too much energy to handle for consecutive hours. Words are so inadequate in this case.

Thank you MixFm's Crew for such a memorable night.

NB: Some people were really missed :).

A partial tracklist was tweeted online for the first two hours I guess. Although normally I’m not a big fan of spoiling the night with track selections, I did highlight the tracks I really enjoyed!

Ariel_Rodz_-_Hello_Tap_Tap__Ronan_Portela_Remix_
DJ madskillz_kliniek_bitten001
Shinedoe - No Boundaries ft Mr. Bumpy [Martin Buttrich Bonus Beats]
Okain - Where Is Monday - Original Mix
Guti - dualism
Marcus Meinhardt - Mad Max (Super Flu Remix)
Livio & Roby, George G. - Diverse - Original Mix

03.gaiser - mfnstmp master
masuki_dryrain_pfirterremix
magda is a nancy fave
Billy Johnston - Capo (Marco Dassi Remix)
Remi Mimi - Predateur Animal - Picknik
Paul Ritch - paul ritch remix marc def 01
Ronan & Rodz - Put De Pelons
Guido Schneider - Eijeijei (Original Mix)
ACUMEN - MIDDLE
Diy - Suck My Caulk (Original)
Mauro Picotto - 320-Mauro_Picotto_-_Love_Message_(Ramon_Tapia_First_Message)_mst
butch - disco shhh

djmadskillz_surface_bitten001
Mauro Picotto - 320-Mauro_Picotto_-_Love_Message _(Uto_Karem_rmx)_mst
umek-control_points(original_mix)
Marcus Sur - Hub & Spoke
Dale Howard - Control It (Original Mix)
Stephan_Barnem_-_8_Eight_Obando_Remix

AA2. Salonicco master
Remerc - Canta La Luna[Greelpound_Promo_320kb] EDIT
Ori Undo - 02 New Kid On The Rock (Daniele Papini After Love Remix)
El Mundo and Satori - Four Roses
Remerc - Wobble Night[Greelpound_Promo_320kb]
Ezio (POLKA006) - Va y Ven (David Mariscal rmx)
A_HeinrichsHirternfellner_Down
Pullover_ADTR Remix
Dale Howard - The W0nk (Original Mix)
The Music was New, black polished Chrome and came over the summer like liquid Night ...
Shy--Ism
Trance Officer
Trance Officer

Re: Review: Richie Hawtin live at Biel, Beirut (30.10.2009)

Postby crow » Sun Nov 01, 2009 8:27 am

Lucky you! I want to see him live so bad!!!! Glad you enjoyed your time though. I'll check out the tracklist's tracks on beatport. Thanks for the recommendations :)
crow
Trance Officer
Trance Officer

Postby [IN]Head-Kay » Sun Nov 01, 2009 8:29 pm

I was following the TL live as well, what a night this must have been indeed! Did he leave in his alien spaceship at the speed of light?

"For me personally, I could never go back to playing CDs or even vinyl. And most people forget that programming and selection are the true core elements of any good DJ" - DUBFIRE!

"The Aliens have officially landed in Kay-Ville"

http://www.myspace.com/djinheadkay
http://www.groups.to/inheadkay
[IN]Head-Kay
Certified Trancer
Certified Trancer

Postby samlbronkowitz » Mon Nov 02, 2009 11:08 am

WOW!!!!
he's definitely special behind the decks, maybe the most special for me!!! Glad u enjoyed Sarah
Are you ready to go on a musical trip with me, through love...happiness...music....AND PARTY TIME?

Nothing spells success like EXCESS!
samlbronkowitz
Trance FrEaK
Trance FrEaK

Postby mzy » Wed Nov 04, 2009 7:32 pm

Craaazzyyy ...
Richie is crazy ... Crowd was crazy ... Music was crazy ...
Setup/Lights amazing
Sound : PERFECT !
the music was very well described by shy-ism ... the only thing that I wanted to add is that richie kept the energy up the whole set , every single track make you wanna move & dance ... even if you're exhausted you just can't stop dancing ... richie played till 7am... few tracks I recognized were Popof - Road Rage , Who's Afraid of Detroit (some edit) he played it at the end , and his own Spastik
Thank You Richie Hawtin

and thank you mixfm
Minimal/Techno it is...
mzy
Certified Trancer
Certified Trancer

Postby rob » Thu Nov 05, 2009 12:45 pm

Spastik was surely a special moment.
the whole night was FRKN MENTAL!

Too bad I didnt bump into any of u Shy--ism and MZY.
"[...]You'll understand other peoples motivation, You'll be able to tell whether you're being lied to, how boredom and defensiveness reveal, and how to overcome both. You can see how valuable it is to increase your sensitivity to this Non-Verbal Language.." Non Verbal Language - 16 Bit Lolitas
rob
Certified Trancer
Certified Trancer

Postby Housezone » Fri Nov 06, 2009 10:18 am

This One Was One Of The Best Moments In E.D.M. We Really Needs Gigs Like This !
Check Out Some Pics : http://www.facebook.com/album.php?aid=3 ... =795830544
& this video: Richie Hawtin Playing Spastik ( Dubfire Remix) Live @ Beirut 2009 : http://www.facebook.com/video/video.php ... 544&ref=mf

Keep the hard work guys, until the next one :wink:
" Underground : Muzik U Deserve To Hear "
Housezone
Certified Trancer
Certified Trancer

Return to Reviews & Pics