[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 488: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 488: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4762: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3897)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4764: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3897)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4765: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3897)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4766: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3897)
TranceHits.com • View topic - Tiesto live in DC, Club Glow

Tiesto live in DC, Club Glow

Reviews and pictures of all EDM events.

Moderator: MODs

Tiesto live in DC, Club Glow

Postby Guest » Tue Oct 13, 2009 1:53 am

I almost feel like it is my duty to write a very brief review of Tiesto's new artist album, Kaleidoscope, having had the pleasure to promote his music (and Trance music in general) in Lebanon from 2001 to 2004 like very few individuals have. But that was a while ago. Anyway, Tiesto is still my number one Trance DJ, for his past and present accomplishments.

I write this review with the caveat that there is still much to grasp out of this album. After all, the album just came out and I only received my copy a week ago (I pre-ordered it via Amazon). However, whenever time permitted, I tried listening very carefully to its songs and last night I attended a live Tiesto gig at Club Glow here in DC, as part of his Kaleidoscope World Tour. So I was exposed to the "bedroom listening" and "live club dancing" apsect of the album.

The album will achieve its purpose in my opinion, that is to bring the non-Trance communities closer to Electronic Dance Music. This album's number one target is not Europe, Asia, or any other part of the world, it is the United States, as evidenced by the fact that Club Glow last night was completely packed and tickets were sold out a while ago. You have to see this crucial and very valuable aspect of the album, otherwise you will end up easily bashing the album and repeating the same old adage that Tiesto is no longer who he was and that this album is nothing but a confirmation of his decline and ultimate collapse.

In my humble opinion, this is a very smart and highly sophisticated album (not my favorite certainly), a mix of the old sound (the 80s) and the very new sound. I know, it is hard to believe that the man who produced the legendary In My Memoy is the same who produced Kaleidoscope. Well, if you haven't already noticed, times have changed, and Tiesto (and other DJs) is (are) fully aware of that. We old-time Trancers are somewhat resistant to change and still look at ourselvers and at Trance as an exclusive club, only for those elites who followed Paul Oakenfold, Sasha and Digweed, PVD, and all the other living legends. Trust me, nothing pains me more than seeing a bunch of kids relating to Trance today only through songs like Adagio for Strings. But the hope is, and it is a big gamble, that those same kids and ignorants whom we loath so much today will carry the torch of Trance when we get old. It's all about baby steps, today they will listen to Adagio for Strings, some time in the near future, they will be the ones discovering new Trance sounds. This album fits right in that mindset, it is a gamble, aimed at "teaching" the "non-Trance" communities something about electronic dance music (certainly this abum contains no Trance, but it has some attractive progressive beats).

As for the songs, Kaleidoscope, like any other album has beauties and mediocrities.
The single Kaleidoscope is wonderful, typical of an introductory track by Tiesto, it has a theme. Escape me is one of those blends of 80s music and new sound, I loved it and got to experience it live last night when he dropped it: the dancefloor exploded. You are my Diamond is an absolute disaster, even when taking into consideration the objective of the album, I think it went to the extreme because it sounded like a song taken out of a Best Trance Hits 2002 or something. No need to go through all of the tracks, but my favorites where I noticed a touch of Tiesto brilliance were: I am Strong, Kaleidoscope, Feel it in my bones, LA Ride, Here on Earth, and Escape me.

Oh, and by the way, last night was a blast, and I must admit I had to revisit my initial review of the album because of it. The songs played live sure sounded different and much better. When you go to a Tiesto party these days, it is less about the music (in the first couple of hours at least) and more about the experience. The visuals behind him were a thing of beauty. For those I am friends with on facebook, check out a few pics.
Often Trancer
Often Trancer

Re: Tiesto live in DC, Club Glow

Postby Qulture » Wed Oct 14, 2009 11:37 am

wow , DC and Glow .... long time !!

Bilal , i am happy you are still having fun in DC , i always here mixed reviews about the nightlife there , some say its gone soooo bad , and others say its more happening than ever before !!

I havent checked out Tiesto's new cd , but i am sure some good tracks will emerge from it !

To be honest , last time i saw Tiesto was in Ibiza , last summer , and he failed to impress me with his live set . it wasnt structured , and his mixing still needs sooo much improvement . But it was a full on concert , the visiuals were out of this world !!
Qulture
Trance FrEaK
Trance FrEaK

Re: Tiesto live in DC, Club Glow

Postby lebanese_raver » Thu Oct 15, 2009 10:26 am

I miss DC :(
lebanese_raver
Often Trancer
Often Trancer

Return to Reviews & Pics