[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 488: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 488: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 384: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4762: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3897)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4764: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3897)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4765: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3897)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4766: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3897)
TranceHits.com • View topic - Review: Sasha & Digweed live in Beirut | Biel (15-08-2009)

Review: Sasha & Digweed live in Beirut | Biel (15-08-2009)

Reviews and pictures of all EDM events.

Moderator: MODs

Review: Sasha & Digweed live in Beirut | Biel (15-08-2009)

Postby Shy--Ism » Mon Aug 17, 2009 12:21 pm

Saturday night was legendary for many electronic music fanatics, as two gorgeously talented artists finally made it “together” in Beirut: sharing one single Dj-booth, one city, one crowd, one atmosphere, two apple books, and two musical tastes eventually combined. In my and many other opinions, Sasha took over the mental part with a sensual emotional background as always. And Digweed took care of the sensual part while remaining technically mental in this musical journey. Having them both on decks lifted music to very high standards where heart and mind astonishingly blended together and became as one.

My night kicked off with maDJam’s warm-up, which lasted for almost an hour for me before Sasha took over. maDJam’s was on the right track most of the time, I love his warm-up session despite for some very few confusing moments. However the music kept the vibe on and successfully warmed us up to Alexander & John’s mind-blowing music. Well done Ahmad, again.

The moment had come and around 1:00 AM sharp, DJ Sasha initiated his set by one stunning intro that I personally wasn’t expecting! A track featured on Joris Voorn’s Balance, very emotional and added a lot of charm to the dance-floor. Alexander Coe was for me, a surprising element on Saturday night. His music wasn't so much diverse at first, mental but subtle, and so far different from his December gig in Beirut. Dropping Tech house, new-age Techno and old-school acid-ish within some minimal beats since now and then, his set sounded sometimes at the beginning repetitive but varied overall in a fabulous shape, beginning to end. The music was way too intense and lovely at certain points, yet mental and hard to dance to sometimes, but weirdly we did dance after all as everyone around us was dancing and enjoying. Sasha’s set really took up too much energy out of me at some times though, it was great.

Continuing this musical voyage, John Digweed overtook his Dj-booth position and kept music enduring with all its fascination. Let me just say that Diggers’ music had its special charisma. As you could obviously notice by the switch in music, which got a bit more emotional and sensual while ongoing with techno-ish, proggy and strong beats most of the time. I loved many tracks that he played, how technically good he was as much as Sasha was as well. Many wasted a lot of energy on Sasha’s set, not being consciously aware of what Diggers has to offer. Yet then we sustained non-stop dancing and kept on getting pleasure of such scrumptious musical treat. Digweed’s music was apparently steady and lifted our emotions up high. Everyone around me loved it so well and got pleasure of every single beat. It was truly juicy.

Eventually, it literally and physically happened. Sasha & Digweed, both on a back2back drive. Where mental and sensual finally combined, and delivered the peak of this anticipated night. The flow of music was persistent and both artists knew exactly what to offer to thirsty clubbers. Myself being among them, I had a great musical blast and lastly felt a bit the raving experience.

Now, concerning the setup, it was averagely good. The big “S” and “D” had its own effects, giving credits to the lights dispositions at most. Having the Dj-booth from Sasha’s previous gig and screens from Digweed's previous gig as well turned out cool, but technically I must have say that it’s cheap and indirectly saved a lot of money and time. But thankfully I don’t personally care for such details in general as much as I care for music instead.

Lights were nice. Revealing the huge “S” and “D” letters, and supporting the special musical effect. Adding nice cool displayed visuals, like multicolored straight lines reflecting Invol2ver’s special design, and clearly Transitions’ Volumes later on. Good job Vince and the VJ!

Service in the VIP section was awful.

Sound system was great, not excellent as usual. Thankfully we had our special front row linking V/VIP areas in order to enjoy the great feeling. It was marvelous although I only had the chance to experience it for 15 minutes before it got crowded.

Smoke machines were annoying too, rather not have them.

I found that having the painter or graffiti designer a useless idea. If it only were about ambient downtempo electronic party then this idea would have been a bit acceptable. With all respect to the female and her great artistic skills, it had nothing to do with what’s going around whatsoever. Just go with a straight simple setup as previously mentioned without adding such “small details”.

Flying bar, hmmm. Nice tool to offer more entertainment, but why have music played on it too? (I think). Whenever it reaches the ground, sound propagations in the back really annoyed lots of clubbers in the V/VIP crowd. I don’t know…

Crowd quality, again, not its finest at all.

Overall, it was a good night for all electronic music fans. Sasha & Digweed were awesome and made this night memorable for almost everyone who made it on Saturday.

Thank you for making this night happen ! :)
The Music was New, black polished Chrome and came over the summer like liquid Night ...
Shy--Ism
Trance Officer
Trance Officer

Re: Review: Sasha & Digweed live in Beirut at Biel (15-08-2009)

Postby samlbronkowitz » Mon Aug 17, 2009 2:10 pm

great review. I hear they played a very cool intimate set for about 1500people here in Dubai. i know there was a lot of hype about this event in Beirut, i'm sure the army of locals enjoyed thoroughly!!!
Are you ready to go on a musical trip with me, through love...happiness...music....AND PARTY TIME?

Nothing spells success like EXCESS!
samlbronkowitz
Trance FrEaK
Trance FrEaK

Postby Qulture » Mon Aug 17, 2009 2:14 pm

:cry: :(

SO SAD I MISSED THIS .... !!!
Qulture
Trance FrEaK
Trance FrEaK

Re: Review: Sasha & Digweed live in Beirut | Biel (15-08-2009)

Postby Ali N » Mon Aug 17, 2009 2:40 pm

Can anyone ID some of the tracks ?

There was an amazing song where it had some vocals that go like : What if we were entering into a new time? a time when the very systems of control and commerce that we had believed to be the status quo, were somehow no longer relevant?What if we were faced with a new medium? A new network? A new system that connected the people in places of the world in a new way ,What if that's system is here? What if that's time is now?
Do you know what's the name of this track?!
"Don't Be A Prisoner Of You're Own Style" -Armin Van Buuren
Ali N
New Trancer
New Trancer

Postby crow » Mon Aug 17, 2009 3:35 pm

crow
Trance Officer
Trance Officer

Postby Shy--Ism » Mon Aug 17, 2009 4:26 pm

The Music was New, black polished Chrome and came over the summer like liquid Night ...
Shy--Ism
Trance Officer
Trance Officer

Postby DiabloK » Mon Aug 17, 2009 5:55 pm

nice review as usual Miss Shy :)

Music comments: as i previously mentioned, Sasha played a pure techno and tech set, quite funky at moments, while Digweed was more into deep and minimal sounds compared to Sasha, groovy at times. Loved Sasha's intro "Bole Beats & Beach Kisses" (Joris Voorn edit) but afterward, got bit bored with lots of repetition and noticed that sasha couldn't get his grip over the crowd at 1st, until Digweed took over after him. As usual, the masters of progressions were taking it higher and higher very slowly, before the last half hour climax. Overall, i couldn't go into the music all the times, ie the music was excellent at times, bit boring at others and honestly, the 1st hour - hours and a half tired me a bit. The mid-set was the best i think, and of course, it was cool to see them both playing together. Wasn't very impressed music wise (same with lots of my friends), yet, i understand that lots of young people and kids did. it was new to them, and of course, S&D are technically perfect. Neither very disappointed nor mega satisfied, it was a nice musical night, not the best i had, got bored at moments. at least they came! :P As for the local Djs, well no comment. what to say? their music level has been the same the past 4 years? anyway...

The rest: crowd within the regular section: zero. Where is the ratio Lebanese ratio of 3 girls to 1 guy? :P lots of kids playing. where is A&B crowd??? VIP: some familiar faces, it was a peak summer weekend, and saw lots of acquaintances coming from abroad. Vibes were OK, we had fun with our big crew. Thank God i was in zone 1 of VIP and some friends, who were in the 2nd one where the flying bar was disposed, cursed and joined me: flying bar had speakers making echo :P so yes shy-ism, i understand, got the same feedback.
Setup: as announced by mix, it was bit cheap. visuals sucked big time. i think they deserved better ones. S & D giant letters = pfff, felt like a decor from the 70's. lighting was poor in terms of used equipment, but was used in a good way by the engineer, and i personally love the combination of red and blue, noting that the towers lighting the mid venue were used to light A&B dancers stage i think haven't seen them at a gig before, noting that i didn't attend much mix parties the past year. DJ booth: also agree with Shy-ism, saw it on many previous Mix gigs. no problem, though i found it ugly. It looked like a cost cutting party.
Sound: same problem every time with the VIP section, if your table is not at the front of the VIP section, well you're doomed to hesitate all night long what to do to improve your sound quality. a good point though was the corridor they made between both VIP zones. It allowed us to be really close to the DJs and btw, FINALLY Digweed had a haircut :mrgreen: good idea... of course for future gigs, if the same corridor is created, i advise all VIPs to get EAR PLUGS!

Overall, it was ok and better than the December Sasha gig. of course it was good to be able to see them both playing on a peak weekend during summer, which on the other hand, tells you a bit about edm worldwide: ask the promoters if it was possible to reunite 2 giants on such a date 2 years ago as their schedule was booked one year ahead i guess. It was a nice reunion for lots of people with some nice music, not the best true, but nice overall, and with 2 giants of edm. if they come again, i wouldn't go though. Such a party deserved more effort setup wise. Shou Guetta deserves it better?
And if your head explodes with dark forebodings too
Ill see you on the dark side of the moon
DiabloK
Occasional Trancer
Occasional Trancer

Postby rob » Mon Aug 17, 2009 7:47 pm

nice review shy! what a pleasurable night! i can say it has been a while since i came back from such parties satisfied!
the high point of he night for me was when they droped 1994’s Underworld - dark and long… Typical Sacha's type of shenanigan! Then followed an Epic 30min !
"[...]You'll understand other peoples motivation, You'll be able to tell whether you're being lied to, how boredom and defensiveness reveal, and how to overcome both. You can see how valuable it is to increase your sensitivity to this Non-Verbal Language.." Non Verbal Language - 16 Bit Lolitas
rob
Certified Trancer
Certified Trancer

Postby ziz00_909 » Mon Aug 17, 2009 9:34 pm

1st of All..i Hesitated a lot before attending this event.. not because i wasn't interested.. at the contrary .. i wanted to go more than anything.. but this was my 5th event in less than a month!! i was gettin a bit bored :P !

anyways i went.. it was magikal.. loved the music to the max.. every single track.. tho sasha's 1st hour wasn't his best!
The Sound was good in the regular section.. in the Vips well ..same old same old.. good out front..in the back a nightmare :D

nice idea with the Big D and S !!
lights were a lil bit too much i guess.. the laser show was a bit not suitable for such gig in my opinion!

Crowd!! ..well just as i expected when i heard it was a 16+ [with a bunch of 13 year olds in it]..pffft.. MONEY CALLS..what can we do :P

Shy..i found the track Ali asked for under the name: Ross Couch - A New System .. and not Colin Mutchler.. dunno if it's the same artist..

and if anyone can help!! they dropped a sick track just before Everythin' you Touch.. pure madness.. i have it in one of my sets.. but just can't find out it's name :(!
any help will be appreciated :)
peace
naturally Artificial!
ziz00_909
Certified Trancer
Certified Trancer

Postby ziz00_909 » Mon Aug 17, 2009 10:56 pm

Here something to remember the night :)

Enjoy ;)
naturally Artificial!
ziz00_909
Certified Trancer
Certified Trancer

Postby Shy--Ism » Tue Aug 18, 2009 9:11 am

Shy--Ism
Trance Officer
Trance Officer

Postby samlbronkowitz » Tue Aug 18, 2009 1:29 pm

Are you ready to go on a musical trip with me, through love...happiness...music....AND PARTY TIME?

samlbronkowitz
Trance FrEaK
Trance FrEaK

Postby rob » Wed Aug 19, 2009 3:33 am

"[...]You'll understand other peoples motivation, You'll be able to tell whether you're being lied to, how boredom and defensiveness reveal, and how to overcome both. You can see how valuable it is to increase your sensitivity to this Non-Verbal Language.." Non Verbal Language - 16 Bit Lolitas
rob
Certified Trancer
Certified Trancer

Postby samlbronkowitz » Wed Aug 19, 2009 9:52 am

samlbronkowitz
Trance FrEaK
Trance FrEaK

Postby rob » Wed Aug 19, 2009 10:22 am

september 19 @ B018, see u there than!
rob
Certified Trancer
Certified Trancer

Next

Return to Reviews & Pics