[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 488: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 488: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4762: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3897)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4764: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3897)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4765: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3897)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4766: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3897)
TranceHits.com • View topic - Review: Above & Beyond @ La Marina Dbayye [18-07-09]

Review: Above & Beyond @ La Marina Dbayye [18-07-09]

Reviews and pictures of all EDM events.

Moderator: MODs

Review: Above & Beyond @ La Marina Dbayye [18-07-09]

Postby ziz00_909 » Sun Jul 19, 2009 1:57 pm

Will Come Later On with a Full Review.. but until then.. It was the Greatest Event Ever to be Held In Lebanon ..who ever missed it for don't give a damn about reason.. made a mistake of a Lifetime..
Above & Beyond >> tops all on the Trance Scene From Now On.. 8)

cheers
naturally Artificial!
ziz00_909
Certified Trancer
Certified Trancer

Re: Review: Above & Beyond @ La Marina Dbayye [18-07-09]

Postby DiabloK » Sun Jul 19, 2009 2:40 pm

uf MESMERIZING!!

It was different, fresh, happy, uplifting!!

The music: R&N played a nice groovy set, then Jaytech took commands. Very professional warm up. It was gentle at the start, then became a bit flat and monotonous preparing gently the crowd to start the journey. Maybe 45 mins after he started, he began going higher, more minimal and heavier bass, keeping a groovy melodic and fluid flow, the venue was already packed by 1:30, loads of smiles and hands in the air. Quasi naked dancers were making a show in parallel :P

A&B followed, with an great set, with loads of energy and generosity. I haven't been following trance for some time and didn't know what to expect form them. So much diversity yet keeping their grip over the crowd all through the set, their sounds were proggy, uplifting yet groovy, techy at moments, including acid elements (that i love). The peak of the night that was. They played Greece2000 too :D

Then came the live. After a 3 mins break that was needed to plug and adjust the equipment (while ppl were going nuts), they introduced themselves, Zoe, the musicians and the show, and they started. sorry am a total trance ignorant so can't tell you what they played, except No One on Earth :P The positive: it's breathtaking to see such a different and innovative live. The negative: i don't know why they were having breaks between the tracks instead of mixing? probably they didn't have time to prepare a mixed set as yesterday was their 1st live performance ever. maybe they should have started by the live and played the DJ set afterwords. I left at the end of the live, exhausted.

Great setup, perfect clean and powerful sound that saves your ears (and you night), surprisingly beautiful crowd (the +18 policy helped too) that was divers, yet seemed united by the party, happy and sexy vibes and energy, i loved the night, uplifting, fresh and different :) of all the editions, the 2009 was the most impressive!

The show must go on!
And if your head explodes with dark forebodings too
Ill see you on the dark side of the moon
DiabloK
Occasional Trancer
Occasional Trancer

Postby Raneem » Sun Jul 19, 2009 4:12 pm

gr8 night!
Raneem
Ultimate Trancer
Ultimate Trancer

Postby mzy » Sun Jul 19, 2009 4:31 pm

Jaytech's set was great, he played good progressive trance ...
A&B's set was great too, I loved the remix of Greece 2000 they played. Later on they started their live act, there was also a drummer with them, it was good, okay, the cuts between each track were annoying though, it was more a rock concert than a rave ... the 2 vocalists Zoe Johnston and Richard Bedford were good... they performed Good For Me , No One on Earth , Alone Tonight , Satellite (at the end)....
I left when A&B finished their act, have to study for 2morrow (2 exams) ...

Setup was magnificent, really, I think it was the best Lightnings/Visual we've ever seen , there was a giant screen behind the Dj Booth , the big balloons suspended in the air were cool, the Sound System was perfect, everywhere (exept in the back back of the venue). Crowd was great too , few weirdos , and it was maybe the first time I see an equal ratio of guys/girls ...
Good event overall, though I would have prefered if they played a set ...
Congrats and Thanks to the organizers...
Minimal/Techno it is...
mzy
Certified Trancer
Certified Trancer

Postby DiabloK » Sun Jul 19, 2009 4:52 pm

And if your head explodes with dark forebodings too
Ill see you on the dark side of the moon
DiabloK
Occasional Trancer
Occasional Trancer

Postby ziz00_909 » Sun Jul 19, 2009 5:33 pm

Alriiiiiiiiiiiiight ! :)

I arrived to the Venue at around 11:00 .. Ronin&Nesta were Still working the crowd..nice and smooth..
At Around 11:30 JAytech Took Over the Decks and started building up the whole thing..started easy..with a few ups every now and then..and by his final half hour..it was pure bass stuff..making everybody jump..with hands held high..
A lot of People loved the Warm Up.. and it was quite a proffessional one too.. but i personally didn't enjoy it that much...dunno maybe cz it's been a while since i been to a Trance Event..
As Much as he been going up with his sounds..didn't feel it much..and was waiting anxiously for A&B to take Over..

And There It was..The Trio Were On Stage..Above & Beyond in Control :twisted: .. from the first moments it was Crazy.. Powerful, Energetic..and Uplifting!! Simply Amazing.. started with Proggy Stuff..Dropped Some Amazing Tunes..like the Remix Of 'Greece 2000' ..and Super8 & Tab's Remix for 'Nothing But You'..and A&B's 'Air For Life' It was Nuts at The Time...
At around 3:00 - 3:15.. the Place went Dark..lights Off.. Screen Out.. Live Show was about to Get Started.. 8)
Each One Of The Three Djs handled a Instrument.. a Drummer Came Along with Them..and The Vocalists: Zoe Johnston and Richard Bedford In the Middle Of The Satge..
Zoe Started with ' I can't Sleep ' ...everyone was singing along..It Was MAGIC.. for two hours straight..one track after the Other..such as: 'No One On Earth' - 'Good For Me' - 'For All I Care' - 'Hope' - 'Alone Tonight' and The Closing With 'Satellite'..

Other Than Music..The Setup was Amazing..The Stage was Great.. Lights were proffesionally Handled.. Sounds were Great(but in the Middle there was an Echo Problem..nothing big tho..) ..
The Gogo Dancers Were Cute..and HOT of Course.. Some Sirens were descending from the Sky..quite cool..
And I was Glad that this Time..there Number of Girls/Boys..matched in some ways..
The Attenders Were In General from Planet Earth...few Weirdos.. :mrgreen:
The Bar Was Good.. no Wrestling to get to your drinks.. not crowded.. [it was the 1st time i get to taste the POLIAKOV vodka - not bad..a bit light tho]

Sitll there were something that annoyed me a bit : The Damn Electric Cables lining on the Ground all around the venue.. witch managed to knock me down a few times:P

At the End..it was Amazing..Had a Great Time.. Great Job everyone..
One Of The Best Events to be held on the LEB Scene..if not the Best..
Great Crowd - Great Djs - Great Music - Great Night...
Waiting for next year :)...

(Have Loads Of Videos.. like 300Mb or Something.. will try to figure out a Way To Post Them soon ;) )
naturally Artificial!
ziz00_909
Certified Trancer
Certified Trancer

Postby Marquis » Sun Jul 19, 2009 6:06 pm

Marquis
New Trancer
New Trancer

Postby RocK » Sun Jul 19, 2009 8:36 pm

Sounds like it was out of this world! Im pretty sure it was! Yalla let's get an official review by a MOD! And More pics and videos! What about a tracklist anyone? Oh and wat was the remix of Greece2000 that was played?! Cuz all of you seem to be talkin abt it!
" Ashes to Ashes, Dust to Dust, In Trance We Trust! "
RocK
Often Trancer
Often Trancer

Postby ram12 » Sun Jul 19, 2009 9:47 pm

Lovely night!
ram12
Often Trancer
Often Trancer

Postby Marquis » Sun Jul 19, 2009 10:17 pm

Marquis
New Trancer
New Trancer

Postby Fawzi » Mon Jul 20, 2009 2:01 am

Lucky bastards :(
Fawzi
Certified Trancer
Certified Trancer

Postby Roland » Mon Jul 20, 2009 9:14 am

It was an awesome night, without doubts the best event for this year ... Above & Beyond were brilliant with their DJ & live set .. the drummer is out of this world, anyone know his name ?

2 things i didnt like about the event, Its a shame that we're in an outdoor venue and no fireworks where displayed , also its so unprofessional not to make an intro for the DJs, the boys has to stop Jaytech track and start their set..
Roland
Trance FrEaK
Trance FrEaK

Postby Qulture » Mon Jul 20, 2009 11:01 am

I HATE MY LIFE .....................

Edit : and i think the greece 2000 remix everyone is talking about , is the Daniel Portman remix . Please somone confirm , if not , let the games begin .... :twisted:
Qulture
Trance FrEaK
Trance FrEaK

Postby e-sam » Mon Jul 20, 2009 11:27 am

A night to remember & embrace for years to come. A&B did their first ever live event in Lebanon. I remember Toni saying "If we screw up please forgive us this is our first live event" well Toni I have to say if this is your first live event then God help your fans when you gain more experience with future live ones. The vocalists Zoe Johnston and Richard Bedford were outstanding!!! I can safely say nothing beats a live set. I came a bit late so I didn't hear the start up but as for the warm up Jaytech did a great job. His progressive tunes put us in the right mood for the boys to take over. Organization wise I have to say despite the thousands that attended the entrance was smooth & the traffic was okay. The idea of spreading the clubbers in an arena/theater shape with an inclined height worked great. Everyone could see the stage & enjoy his night without disturbing the ones in front or behind. At least that is what I experienced in the VIP area. The bar service was fast and the waiters were everywhere. Good job.

Now regarding the track listing you guys mentioned some of them and I remember some Cosmic Gate tunes were dropped (Rania will give exact name). I also remember a mashup or remix of Mark Snow's Xfiles theme song. As for Greece 2000 it was the original mix.

Last but not least I have 4 words to say "BRING MORE LIVE EVENTS". I mean why not have at least 1-2 live events among the 10-20 international DJs that the organizers bring to Lebanon every year?

Side note: Anyone noticed the video cam guy's moves? What was he on? On several occasion the cam could have bumped into someone's hand/head.
e-sam
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby Shy--Ism » Mon Jul 20, 2009 12:09 pm

Ever since their first performance in Lebanon Above & Beyond has been marking a valuable presence in our hearts and minds. And keeping up to their initial promise, Jono, Anthony and Paavo delivered one gorgeously special night on Saturday.

Arriving to Marina JK Dbayeh at around 11:30, Ronin & Nesta were on their way to leave place for Jaytech over the deck. Jaytech was so far sure of his performance, always with a blissful smile on his face. The warm up was a solid mixing of melodies and straight on progressive sounds most of the time while dropping some tech-y beats since now and then. The crowd enjoyed it and got pleasure of it as it surely built the mood up to the main set’s standards as usual. Again Jaytech’s mixing was really good reflecting a great talent.

It was so easy for people to realize the trio stepping on stage as they kicked off with a mesmerizing intro driving the crowd goes crazy. What a lovely DJ set coming from Above & Beyond. Fresh sounds and dreamy background supporting the concept of diversity those three artists have always been offering. The way music was delivered was astonishingly superb, and the flow of the tracks being mixed simultaneously gave a typical originality for Above & Beyond’s work. Dropping classics and its remixes within the set turned the music into a magical journey for all trance music lovers, like Three Drives - Greece 2000 and Robert Miles – Children (Inpetto Remix) which actually added a serious charm to the dance-floor. At 3:00 AM, the live act had to take place eventually. A break of few minutes was useless for the crowd, as the majority started shouting and requesting more from the trio. As people kept on reading loudly the quotes displayed on the huge centered screen, Anthony wore his white electric guitar belt and Jonathan & Paavo took care of the piano and FX keyboards while having the talented drummer set in the background. The live set intro was intensively gorgeous, Above & Beyond – Air For Life featuring Zoe Johnstone delivered an awesome ambience for sure. Following it a series of original productions for this great band, to name like “No One On Earth”, “For All I Care”, “Good For Me”, “Alone Tonight” featuring Richard Bedford … etc, and of course the infamous track “Can’t Sleep” that made the crowd sing along with Zoe.

Concerning the closing set, I left right before it started but I think Jaytech was also in charge. He did well that night!

I didn't quite like sort of long breaks between each performed track.

The quality of the crowd was fairly good, decent music interaction.
The setup was huge and well placed (although I would have preferred having it a bit slightly rotated towards the V/VIP as we couldn’t always get a clear view of the stage during the live performance). But nevertheless, I understand installment was well prepared despite obstacles face in an outdoor area.

Lightings and visuals were truly excellent. The moment when Above & Beyond took over the stage everything got turned on and transformed the whole atmosphere into shear musical paradise. Perhaps the usage of lasers could have been a bit greater and longer enough, however I think I liked the fact that it was properly used instead of randomly throwing lights here and there. It was cozy after all.

Dancers from Ibiza did some great dancing, whether on their small stages or in their sirens outfits suspended in the air. Fantastic!

VIP and VVIP were also comfy just like in Shiny Disco Ball, well seated and good service for all Poliakov’s drinkers and boozers. Sound system was almost as good and clear as in the regular section. And overall the sound system was really great compatible for beats and vocals.

The party was successful in my opinion. The event organization was superb despite some difficulties, needless to mention that the concept was well transmitted in general. Thank you for such a beautiful night and well done!!

Eagerly waiting for the DVD release of course!
The Music was New, black polished Chrome and came over the summer like liquid Night ...
Shy--Ism
Trance Officer
Trance Officer

Next

Return to Reviews & Pics