[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 488: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 488: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4762: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3897)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4764: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3897)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4765: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3897)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4766: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3897)
TranceHits.com • View topic - Review: Matthew Dear [M_NUS] at b018, Lebanon [09.07.2009]

Review: Matthew Dear [M_NUS] at b018, Lebanon [09.07.2009]

Reviews and pictures of all EDM events.

Moderator: MODs

Review: Matthew Dear [M_NUS] at b018, Lebanon [09.07.2009]

Postby Shy--Ism » Fri Jul 10, 2009 11:43 pm

Founded by the infamous artist Richie Hawtin, the well-known label M_nus has been getting well respected recognition from electronic dance music fans over the globe. Fortunately, Lebanon got the privilege to get pleasure of this splendid flavor through one of the rising Djs/Producers Matthew Dear (Audion/Jabberjaw/False), who obviously belongs to the M_nus family.

Yesterday wasn’t but a fixed date for a beautiful rendez-vous with Matthew Dear.
I arrived about midnight at b018 in order to catch up with maDJam’s warm-up set. The man as usual knew exactly how to build the mood up to the main set’s standards. Starting with minimal elements blended with groovy techy sounds, the music he played created a nice ambience. The acapellas integrated added more style to the whole warm-up sound. Very well done.

Matthew Dear took over the deck in order to carry on the musical journey. And how glorious it was when the man knew well enough how to add more action to the dance-floor. Twisted effects and new electronic musical elements kept on incorporating with every minute. The structured minimal sound offered a scrumptious feeling that drew a blissful grin on many familiar faces. It wasn’t long enough for the Dj to turn it up a bit, by inserting some original Tech House to highly Techno-ish influenced beats. The guy was way too technically skilled, as the flow of the tracks was so smooth and well systemized throughout the set. Progressive in its structure, music transitions sounded extremely well made. The whole atmosphere in parallel to music was dirty and filthy, yet definitely gorgeously esthetical. You would get to hear a high-edged break with acid-ish to techy cuts mixed in rapidly, yet a dazzling slow bpm-ed bass-line to drive many M_nus fans go crazy!! Personally I loved every single bit of Matthew Dear’s set; it was so magical, mind-soaring, and most certainly unique … a big part of the crowd loved it, and Matthew couldn’t but do his own dancing move in order to complete his exceptional interaction with the crowd. Technically as I have just mentioned, the guy bowled us over with his skills and talent. Chapeau !!

Could barely last for M. Dear's set, thus once again I left way before Gunther & Stamina took over. Any feedback from those who got the chance and listened to the after hours is much appreciated.

Crowd wise, I can assure you one thing; Thursday night timing helped a lot and thankfully it was NOT a current “Saturday night fever” typical crowd. Perhaps some didn’t totally react towards the music, however everyone was ready to party and dance decently. The vibes were there and the music came in handy, hence in my opinion this was a truly successful night to remember.

Alriiiiiight, so should we expect Marc Houle or Magda any time soon ? Troy Pierce ? … Or maybe Richie Hawtin himself ? I really love family gatherings :roll: .
The Music was New, black polished Chrome and came over the summer like liquid Night ...
Shy--Ism
Trance Officer
Trance Officer

Re: Review: Matthew Dear [M_NUS] at b018, Lebanon [09.07.2009]

Postby A-Cube » Sat Jul 11, 2009 10:25 am

I remember the last B018 events held on a Saturday. The crowd was just suffocating. Thursdays are certainly a better timing for those cosy nights. Thanks for the review Shy, someone is picking up her intensity back!

Welcome to DJ.Malaria you may wonder why I called this group Dj Malaria.
Just like Malaria takes over a person's body when it hits them i want my music's originality to control the soul of whoever hears it in that sense my music is more powerful than Malaria,and I'm sure it will but in a positive way of
course.

PLUR men wejje...
A-Cube
Trance Officer
Trance Officer

Postby mzy » Sat Jul 11, 2009 1:16 pm

I went to b018 very early, arrived there at 12h40 , it was still empty and madjam was playing, I loved his selection (tech house with a bit of minimal) , the warm up set was amazing, especially starting the moment when Madjam played The End Of It All (John Tejada). Matthew Dear took over at around 2h, very groovy, sexy,dirty , makes you wanna move non-stop. Technically he's perfect, perfect transitions, solid flow. the crowd was great. I had a great time.
G&S didn't play since Matthew Dear kept on playing till 7am for the few people that were still there ...
Minimal/Techno it is...
mzy
Certified Trancer
Certified Trancer

Postby ziz00_909 » Sat Jul 11, 2009 1:59 pm

^ any tracklist guys..sounds amazing :)
naturally Artificial!
ziz00_909
Certified Trancer
Certified Trancer

Postby maDJam » Sat Jul 11, 2009 4:09 pm

I can never review my own set- u know I'm not like that, but there was a lot of tracks I've been wanting to play out for a while, just never had the right kind of DJ to warm-up for...

If u'd like to download what i played from 11:50-2am here it is:

Download by saving this link- (205MB)
http://www.lebanesedjs.com/madjamsets/m ... 202009.mp3

Now speaking of slow beats, I started at 122bpm & handed over to Matthew at 125bpm... no need to be any faster then that and he kept the pace going for 5 hours (that again went by in about 5 min- cause we had such a good time!!)

Technically he was running Traktor controlled via 2 technics, and had ableton for his effects running on the same MacBookPro- creating the woosh and eeeshhh effects. All linked into the Xone:92 + 3 CDJ-1000mk3 that we removed as he was about to take over...

Probably one of the cleanest, most intimate crowds I've ever seen@B-018- the type where you know someone on almost every table- Lebos that live abroad, a few Englishmen, Americans, and even a group from IRAQ!!

Woke up on Friday morning thinking it was a Sunday... Ah the magic of Summer in Lebanon!

LOVE IT!
ahMAD aJAM
maDJam
Occasional Trancer
Occasional Trancer

Postby Raneem » Sat Jul 11, 2009 6:43 pm

I arrived there just when Mathew started...
Stayed for an hour, then left..Couldn't feel the music much..just not my cup of tea.
Respects for the scene tho.
Raneem
Ultimate Trancer
Ultimate Trancer

Postby Shy--Ism » Sat Jul 11, 2009 9:12 pm

The Music was New, black polished Chrome and came over the summer like liquid Night ...
Shy--Ism
Trance Officer
Trance Officer

Postby [IN]Head-Kay » Sat Jul 11, 2009 9:15 pm

Sounds pretty awesome!!

Did he play a creepy intro? He did so in Detroit recently, a real creepy one the type which gives you shivers down your spine!!

Downloading the set now M-J !

"For me personally, I could never go back to playing CDs or even vinyl. And most people forget that programming and selection are the true core elements of any good DJ" - DUBFIRE!

"The Aliens have officially landed in Kay-Ville"

http://www.myspace.com/djinheadkay
http://www.groups.to/inheadkay
[IN]Head-Kay
Certified Trancer
Certified Trancer

Postby mzy » Sun Jul 12, 2009 6:50 pm

Minimal/Techno it is...
mzy
Certified Trancer
Certified Trancer

Postby Shy--Ism » Sun Jul 12, 2009 10:24 pm

inHead, as far as I remember he kind of did. Not the really creepy type though, however definitely a track to give you shivers done you're spine with its sophisticated effects.

Also to add, as Matthew kicked off with his music and mid-way towards his set, I noticed many surprised and just like staggered with a weird look on their faces. The crowd was really cool and positive, yet I could still also hear some undertones complaining about the music itself, whether being so dry and monotonous for them or either quite much bizarre to understand. It was weird to see such a behaviour, as probably targetted people and particularly the ones who made it there should have an idea of what to expect from a M_nus DJ/Producer before randomly judging. Unfortunately I wasn't way too much surprised, though I couldn't but be disappointed especially from the people who claim they know it all.

I really loved that night, the whole concept, and I wouldn't mind having Gaiser and Heartthrob as well even if it went unsaid in my review !
Looking forward I hope :) .
Shy--Ism
Trance Officer
Trance Officer

Postby [IN]Head-Kay » Sun Jul 12, 2009 10:27 pm

Leb crowds .... :oops: thats how they make me feel!!

BTW Excellent set Maddie. The beginning and end were amazing, really good track selection and use of accapellas!

"For me personally, I could never go back to playing CDs or even vinyl. And most people forget that programming and selection are the true core elements of any good DJ" - DUBFIRE!

"The Aliens have officially landed in Kay-Ville"

http://www.myspace.com/djinheadkay
http://www.groups.to/inheadkay
[IN]Head-Kay
Certified Trancer
Certified Trancer

Postby samlbronkowitz » Mon Jul 13, 2009 4:44 pm

This is one gig in Leb that i was really really sad to miss--first time in a long time. Glad the "usual suspects" had a blast.

Whoever enjoyed this one, don't miss Schumacher at basement--u won't regret.
Are you ready to go on a musical trip with me, through love...happiness...music....AND PARTY TIME?

Nothing spells success like EXCESS!
samlbronkowitz
Trance FrEaK
Trance FrEaK

Return to Reviews & Pics