[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 488: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 488: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4762: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3897)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4764: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3897)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4765: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3897)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4766: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3897)
TranceHits.com • View topic - Review: Karnival the elektric-go-round festival [27.6.09]

Review: Karnival the elektric-go-round festival [27.6.09]

Reviews and pictures of all EDM events.

Moderator: MODs

Review: Karnival the elektric-go-round festival [27.6.09]

Postby Shy--Ism » Mon Jun 29, 2009 1:09 am

The Sound of United Clubbers, and for the fourth time, brings new artist names to Lebanon in order to enrich our Electronic Dance Music scene. From Kuffdam & Plant and DJ Tarkan, innovative sounds have been incorporated reaching to yesterday’s new installment: Marc O’Tool.

JayK kicked off yesterday with a fresh opening-set for the night. Obviously, the music he played was mostly ambient ready to build up the mood. JayK’s set had some great switches, as he kept on dropping some pretty nice Electronica tracks since now and then (especially one sophisticated track to the end of the set). The whole combination embellished it and eventually offered us a nice package. Well done!

G!’s warm-up followed the opening-set right after. The music clearly got a bit edgier where you could easily hear tougher elements fused in to the music. Thus the set was enjoyable and well-arranged for such a mood-builder continuation.

The intro for Marc O’Tool’s take-over the deck was seriously nice. The entire “Karnival” spirit was very well transmitted to be honest. O’Tool started with some minimalistic sounds and it wasn’t long enough for him to switch up to some crispier Tech House to Techno-ish effects all in a progressive flow in the background. The ambiance obviously got more intense and beautiful to some certain points. Technically speaking he was actually good, though personally I think that this main set could have been a lot much better. Following mid-way his set O’Tool dropped some unexpected hits which I actually did not like, including lots of short vocals, probably because it didn’t meet my personal taste in music. This is perhaps one of the reasons that pushed me to realize that JayK’s set was the most consistent and harmonious, perhaps for particularity of the opening-set. Marc O’Tool’s set got better for me towards the end, much coherent, which was a good comeback after all.

I couldn’t stay long enough for Jade’s closing-set, however I’ve heard it was also quite good. Any additional feedback is appreciated.

The setup: it was nearly excellent, presented well the feeling of a ‘Karnival’ right through the original DJ-booth, cute gadgets all over the place, cotton candy and popcorn in order to finalize the whole concept (although I would have preferred without them). The clowns, jesters and magician Mickey … etc, also played a big nice role in completing the theme. It all really reflected a huge creativity, bravo!

Lighting and Sound: Great! I was really glad for not encountering any laser show, as the party’s ambiance was supposed to be cozy enclosing a comfortable entertaining concept. Besides, the lightings and VJ projections on two big screens went well with the music all night long. The sound system was well organised on the dancefloor for such an open-air party. Good job.

Crowd wise, and comparing to previous SUC events, I was a bit disappointed to be honest. I actually found the venue unsuitable, too wide/big for the number of attendees. Unfortunately, this has been happening in almost every gig, as the majority of the crowd doesn’t understand music the way it should be done. Although O’Tool’s interaction with music and minor crowd was crazy, I felt that there’s something huge missing: crowd appreciation. Sadly it’s occurring very often in our parties, and hopes for fixing this up have already started decreasing.

Well done theSUC for the essential initiative of making such a night happen no matter what, hoping for more successful nights in the near future.
The Music was New, black polished Chrome and came over the summer like liquid Night ...
Shy--Ism
Trance Officer
Trance Officer

Re: Review: Karnival the elektric-go-round festival [27.6.09]

Postby [IN]Head-Kay » Mon Jun 29, 2009 1:48 am

"For me personally, I could never go back to playing CDs or even vinyl. And most people forget that programming and selection are the true core elements of any good DJ" - DUBFIRE!

"The Aliens have officially landed in Kay-Ville"

http://www.myspace.com/djinheadkay
http://www.groups.to/inheadkay
[IN]Head-Kay
Certified Trancer
Certified Trancer

Postby mzy » Mon Jun 29, 2009 12:11 pm

The setup was cool, it was really a karnival , different from what we've seen ... the venue is great, big, space, fresh , I loved it. Sound system was almost perfect if you are on the main 'dancefloor' .... ballons were cool , lights were good ... the whole concept/idea was great and it was well "appliqué".... anyway Sky-Ism described the setup so I won't repeat....

The music , I arrived at 12h30 so I couldnt listen to jayk's set and I barely could listen to G!'s set, but I liked the few of G!'s set that I listened to .... Marc O'Tool , didn't like the first few track he played, but it was better after 5-6 tracks and the music he played kept on getting better and better , I liked his set, his music is good, it was mostly progressive house (or techno with a progressive flow, the tracks he played were very coherent, it had a nice build up, except the first few) , the good prog house with some groove and vocals here and there, he played some techno towards the end. Jade started his set at around 4h , I stayed chi 10min then I left...
too bad it wasn't crowded, it could have been a great event if it was...
I had a great time , till the next one
Minimal/Techno it is...
mzy
Certified Trancer
Certified Trancer

Postby samer » Mon Jun 29, 2009 3:06 pm

not sure what happened with Marc O'Tool but he used to be one of the earliest Trance producers with a distinctive melodic and uplifting sound. The change to house and minimal seems not going very good to him as per the review.. oh well, maybe he should get back to what he was good at!
Never argue with idiots. They bring you down to their level and beat you with experience
samer
AuraLLy WaStEd
AuraLLy WaStEd

Postby A-Cube » Mon Jun 29, 2009 5:34 pm

Lebanese public is still not ready for those small-scale events. And looking at the history of those events and how badly some of them have flopped, I would like to suggest to the promoters to look for other alternatives, since clearly those events are not working. Anywho, got to see the setup and the reviews, seemed like a cool cosy night. Too bad the crowd didn't live up to the hype.

And SamEr, I'd like to disagree with you because the guy has produced some solid tracks and judging him over one night would be totally unfair. I mean we didn't judge Van Buuren's line of work because of his Beirut gig (I mean yeah we did a little, but we're Lebanese, we judge everything lol)

Welcome to DJ.Malaria you may wonder why I called this group Dj Malaria.
Just like Malaria takes over a person's body when it hits them i want my music's originality to control the soul of whoever hears it in that sense my music is more powerful than Malaria,and I'm sure it will but in a positive way of
course.

PLUR men wejje...
A-Cube
Trance Officer
Trance Officer

Postby Shy--Ism » Mon Jun 29, 2009 6:37 pm

Alright guys, I did not say that Marc O'Tool was bad whatsoever :). What I meant in my review is that Marc's set could have been much better music wise, and I mentionned that basing on my own personal taste. In my opinion he could have gotten rid of the excess of vocals and added more solid music instead of offering a kind of messed-up diversity for his set. Others would have actually loved his set, it was a good one despite minor reasons; that's all.

Concerning the crowd, it wasn't a complete disaster either, I've seen much worse ! It was a good not-bad crowd however comparing to previous nights of such, I was expecting a spicier vibe/hype coming from the crowd's music appreciation. Starting from the opening-set where most of them were just watching, untill few minority had the guts to move on the dancefloor as the sound system was pretty good for that. And this isn't about Karnival at all (needless to say it was a cute initiative), it's about the country itself. The venue (place) was a bit huge for the number of attendees as well, however I still don't find this as a major reason for not building up the mood properly. I mean, in foreign countries a big dancefloor would have only 100 heads if not less blasting out during a small cozy after-party ... but yes again, it's foreign countries !

Hence, as I said organization wise (setup, decoration, lighting, sound system) was excellent; the guys are doing something at least. However crowd targetting didn't work quite as well as it is supposed.
The Music was New, black polished Chrome and came over the summer like liquid Night ...
Shy--Ism
Trance Officer
Trance Officer

Postby DiabloK » Mon Jun 29, 2009 6:39 pm

And if your head explodes with dark forebodings too
Ill see you on the dark side of the moon
DiabloK
Occasional Trancer
Occasional Trancer

Postby samer » Mon Jun 29, 2009 9:38 pm

i think what we really lack is some clubs who accept to welcome not so famous DJs (especially when it comes to trance) so that more diversity and additional knowledge would be spread out to the scene. unfortunately getting B and C class DJs to large venues only makes things even worse!

Cube: dont blame me, i got nothing to do with anything in here.. all am saying is that, when the guy used to produce trance he was more famous and apparently better! :P
Never argue with idiots. They bring you down to their level and beat you with experience
samer
AuraLLy WaStEd
AuraLLy WaStEd

Postby samlbronkowitz » Tue Jun 30, 2009 9:43 am

Are you ready to go on a musical trip with me, through love...happiness...music....AND PARTY TIME?

Nothing spells success like EXCESS!
samlbronkowitz
Trance FrEaK
Trance FrEaK

Postby samer » Tue Jun 30, 2009 10:55 pm

^ HAHA u sucker!!
samer
AuraLLy WaStEd
AuraLLy WaStEd

Postby nabzkay » Thu Jul 02, 2009 2:36 pm

nabzkay
Occasional Trancer
Occasional Trancer

Postby samer » Sun Jul 05, 2009 2:57 pm

was that Dr. KiKi the magician?! :roll:
samer
AuraLLy WaStEd
AuraLLy WaStEd

Postby A-Cube » Sun Jul 05, 2009 8:30 pm

Very nice pics! Seemed like a very joyful party. But once again, too bad the location was that large. Nevertheless, hope to see even more new and refreshing ideas out there.

And yes Sam, never seen a magician in a circus or carnival?? :P

Welcome to DJ.Malaria you may wonder why I called this group Dj Malaria.
Just like Malaria takes over a person's body when it hits them i want my music's originality to control the soul of whoever hears it in that sense my music is more powerful than Malaria,and I'm sure it will but in a positive way of
course.

PLUR men wejje...
A-Cube
Trance Officer
Trance Officer

Postby DiabloK » Sun Jul 05, 2009 9:09 pm

And if your head explodes with dark forebodings too
Ill see you on the dark side of the moon
DiabloK
Occasional Trancer
Occasional Trancer

Postby samer » Sun Jul 05, 2009 11:05 pm

samer
AuraLLy WaStEd
AuraLLy WaStEd

Next

Return to Reviews & Pics