[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 488: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 488: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4762: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3897)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4764: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3897)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4765: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3897)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4766: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3897)
TranceHits.com • View topic - Sasha Live at Biel Beirut [27.12.08]

Sasha Live at Biel Beirut [27.12.08]

Reviews and pictures of all EDM events.

Moderator: MODs

Sasha Live at Biel Beirut [27.12.08]

Postby Shy--Ism » Sun Dec 28, 2008 10:02 pm

[align=center]Image[/align]

Throughout the whole previous years, generations kept on praising his name, as it has always been undeniable that twisted Acid, quality Progressive and sensual classy Techno sounded so unique, especially with Sasha. In 2003, Beirut got live introduced to this legendary name that helped in the making and progress of Electronic Dance Music ever since the early eighties. And again, Sasha paid Beirut another visit after five years filled with lethal enthusiasm and much valuable appreciation for Sasha's skills. Finally that day had come !

Arrived to Biel at around 11:30, where maDJam was building up the ambience through a preparatory warm up. Adding more positive vibes, the dance-floor started to get filled up and people began asking for more. Incoming music was well picked by Maddy, progressively flowing tweaked with a minimal to techno-ish elements, some few melodies for a gentle flavor, but eventually encountering groovy basslines (also as usually heard some Acapellas maybe ?) in order to match up easily with Sasha's coming set. Well done Maddy !

As for the man himself, Sasha, his set was really diverse. But let me just say first it was too much for the crowd. Sasha's technical skills were seriously gorgeously shining, the music which Sasha dropped was sensual, way too deep, filthy within a classy flavored touch may I say. Although I was expecting a 'more' tense set from him, but the music went so good. As whenever it reached its peak time amplitude, it goes back down to a basic standard pattern to which Sasha has started with from the main departure. Don't get me wrong, I actually liked it, however in my personal opinion the crowd was not fully understanding it, therefore unable to properly interact upon it. Sasha kicked off with some crispy vocals, continued it with gorgeous darker elements, yet sweetening it with a beautiful melodious background. And again, his skills were undoubtly and unsurprisingly good !! The set started to get wilder at around 2:30 AM, reaching to its wildest moment at around 4:00 AM with, ah well... the Invol2ver version mix of Ladytron - Destroy Everything You Touch. I was personally surprised, as honestly I never got the hype all over me due to this track. Though yesterday, it was all about Live Interaction, and everyone would love to dance on such a killer track. Sasha's set wasn't what I was expecting ! Very unique, but way too different. Although I've heard that Sasha had some computer problems, which made him relay on the backup during the whole night. Too bad, but afterall the music was still good and sophisticated.

Was too tired to stay longer for Gunther & Stamina's after-hours, thus any feedback about their set would be really appreciated.

Also not bad with the space estimation. The venue was kind of empty in the back, but the positive side of it that people had their own space to dance freely and get pleasure of the music. Having the Dj-Booth off-centered... VIP/VVIP to the Right/Left, and the Bar in the back. Hence good set-up for those, nice Lazers, VJ and light effects as well. Very good service in the V/VIP sections.

Concerning the Sound System, it was pretty much awesome at the front. BUT way too poor in the VIP, somethings don't seem like changing. If only the sound was louder and better in the VIP area, the journey would have been much much better for us. Eventually we had to go down to the regular area and give our ears a special treat.

Should also again reconsider filtering out the crowd next time.
Overall, it was a great night for many. Though some points require more attention and work.

Thanks again for such a good gig, so far I enjoyed Sasha's performance and vivid spirit . Anyhoo 'till the next one !
Last edited by Shy--Ism on Wed Jan 07, 2009 1:06 am, edited 3 times in total.
The Music was New, black polished Chrome and came over the summer like liquid Night ...
Shy--Ism
Trance Officer
Trance Officer

Postby [IN]Head-Kay » Mon Dec 29, 2008 10:33 pm

I heard this notion alot over the past two days, of Sasha being too complex for everyone else, i dont understand the whole thing, ive listened to many of Sasha's live sets over the past couple of months, none seemed to be complex, but then again i guess your talking about the average clubbers who seemingly dont know what Sasha's sets are like. I heard his maven had troubles, thats normal with unstable midi-controllers that are built on open source projects like maven. Ableton in itself is stable, but when you add an interface like maven to control the way Ableton connects to the controller issues could be faced, and Sasha shouldve known better after the same thing happened to him in WMC Miami.

"For me personally, I could never go back to playing CDs or even vinyl. And most people forget that programming and selection are the true core elements of any good DJ" - DUBFIRE!

"The Aliens have officially landed in Kay-Ville"

http://www.myspace.com/djinheadkay
http://www.groups.to/inheadkay
[IN]Head-Kay
Certified Trancer
Certified Trancer

Postby Roy vR » Mon Dec 29, 2008 10:51 pm

.the underground world is the place to be.
Roy vR
New Trancer
New Trancer

Postby ziz00_909 » Mon Dec 29, 2008 11:18 pm

naturally Artificial!
ziz00_909
Certified Trancer
Certified Trancer

Postby DiabloK » Mon Dec 29, 2008 11:47 pm

And if your head explodes with dark forebodings too
Ill see you on the dark side of the moon
DiabloK
Occasional Trancer
Occasional Trancer

Postby Housezone » Tue Dec 30, 2008 12:15 am

Trust Me Guys He's A Living Legend , For Me & Many Others .
He's Such A Master , The Venue/Lights/Muzik Everything Was Incredible.
His Music Seems To Come From Such A Deep, Emotional Place And It's Beautiful.

" Underground : Muzik U Deserve To Hear "
Housezone
Certified Trancer
Certified Trancer

Postby DiabloK » Tue Dec 30, 2008 12:18 am

nb: he seems to be using his mac in the pix above :P
And if your head explodes with dark forebodings too
Ill see you on the dark side of the moon
DiabloK
Occasional Trancer
Occasional Trancer

Postby [IN]Head-Kay » Tue Dec 30, 2008 12:20 am

^ It did though on a sidenote, the maven controlled setup is unstable, and Sasha's setup has failed him before.

"For me personally, I could never go back to playing CDs or even vinyl. And most people forget that programming and selection are the true core elements of any good DJ" - DUBFIRE!

[IN]Head-Kay
Certified Trancer
Certified Trancer

Postby Housezone » Tue Dec 30, 2008 12:21 am

^ Yes , His First Mac Waz Crashed , He Go To Used The Back Up One !
" Underground : Muzik U Deserve To Hear "
Housezone
Certified Trancer
Certified Trancer

Postby Genesis » Tue Dec 30, 2008 1:01 am

^ Ah well... software mixing..
tsk tsk tsk...

*shakes head*

:p
If your trance was a pretty blonde ballerina; then what I listen to is a peed-off bulky bouncer pounding the living shit out of your ballerina.
Genesis
Psy FrEaK
Psy FrEaK

Postby maDJam » Tue Dec 30, 2008 2:13 am

Hey ya'll! Howzzit going?

Glad to read mixed reviews- it only means more people are 'active' listeners-

for the Warm-up- I knew precisely where Sasha was going to start, and also considered the Lebo-crowd coming in expecting "Yella yella, up, up" stuff...

so even though a few techy tracks were there, I also played a few uplifting tracks just to lighten people up instead of draining the energy... it's my way of leaving the the stage & crowd ready for Sasha...

I know the weak points in my set- and felt them while it was happening, but again it's all about pacing the event for Sasha to start...

He was ready, Maven hooked up to the laptop to his right (from his perpective- or the one to the left in the pictures above) 20 min into the set the 'firewire' terminal gave way on the maven... why? Well remember it's a custom made controller- and even at his 2nd gig in Dubai last year the maven was in such bad shape they used an Apogee audio interface instead of the Maven's built in audio card...

it's bad luck!

I'm good friends with him & his tour manager, both were totally bummed at how it failed not just once but twice!

We installed one of the most expensive (to rent or buy) soundsystems consisting of Martin Audio & EV Line Array systems... with a container arriving on the eve of the gig from dubai!

So since I'm (well) involved on the technical side of things for our events PLEASE NOTE- the problem was not from us 'cutting costs' at all... rather Sasha having his first Technical Failure in 6 months-

he requested I stay backstage in case his 2nd (back-up) computer failed. That was the system he used for the whole set- it didnt' have all the tracks he wanted to play, nor did he have anything other than a touchpad and a mouse to mix everything...

so please keep all that in mind- he would've stopped early, but the crowd kept cheering for him and he played over 3 hours off a "back-up" computer with no controller...

that takes serious guts!

it's like telling me that I can only mix on ONE CD player... well something like that- I'd shoot myself!

so much appriciation to Sasha for going on with his set despite the technical problems his computer/maven had...

I hope that puts out enough detail...we cool? :)

Have a great new year everyone!
ahMAD aJAM
maDJam
Occasional Trancer
Occasional Trancer

Postby fuckinspecial » Tue Dec 30, 2008 3:23 am

all in all .. even if he had techinal problems .. he prooved he s a real master and gave us a quality deep set ... gunther n stamina were a bit more uplifting .. i enjoyed their set a lot ... madjam was also good ...
as for the crowd filtration it wasnt as good as at markus schulz... too many kids were in ...
mix fm in my opinion are the best organizers in the country .. but they still need a lot of work ... is it part of their crowd filtration policy to minimize the guest deejay's set to 3 hours like @ schulz n @ sasha in order to reduce costs and regain the money the lost by not letting every1 in ???
fuckinspecial
New Trancer
New Trancer

Postby TRANCED » Tue Dec 30, 2008 5:49 am

Love the pics..
He looks..... "Holy" :P

Anyways... seems that it wasn't that bad after all... Glad for all those who enjoyed their time... And somewhat even more glad I picked Markus when i had to choose between Sasha and him! :)

Best of luck for next events!
[size=85][color=#400000]
TRANCED
Recklessly Wild
Recklessly Wild

Postby crow » Tue Dec 30, 2008 10:50 am

I have utmost respect to Sasha for even thinking of a backup computer. I have to admit that as much as I am a software/hardware hybrid junkie, I have never really considered a back up computer lol.

Thanks for clearing things up here madjam.

I love how your little review got technical too. Just looked up these systems and DAMN they are sexy!

How long did it take for the team to install the backup computer onto the setup along with the new interfaces?
crow
Trance Officer
Trance Officer

Postby [IN]Head-Kay » Tue Dec 30, 2008 11:07 am

Its awesome that Sasha has a backup macbook, but not all software djs have that luxury, and although Ableton itself is uber steady, when connected to a midi-controler via the opensource maven interface things could go unsteady! But uber respect for Sasha for going the whole night with a touch pad, thats fukin brilliant, most Djs wouldve made an excuse and walked away, Coe your still the awesomest!

[IN]Head-Kay
Certified Trancer
Certified Trancer

Next

Return to Reviews & Pics