[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 488: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 488: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4762: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3897)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4764: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3897)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4765: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3897)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4766: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3897)
TranceHits.com • View topic - Sharam (Deep Dish) @ Forum De Beyrouth (23-8-2008)

Sharam (Deep Dish) @ Forum De Beyrouth (23-8-2008)

Reviews and pictures of all EDM events.

Moderator: MODs

Sharam (Deep Dish) @ Forum De Beyrouth (23-8-2008)

Postby DIONYSOS » Mon Aug 25, 2008 12:22 am

Q Entertainment & NRJ closed the summer season last night on August 23rd with Sharam from Deep Dish at Forum De Beyrouth along with a massive lineup of local DJs. Here is the report.

Being the opening DJ, I was among the early arrivals to the venue, which allows me ample time to check out the crime scene prior to the mayhem to come. The inside venue of FdB was looking as good as ever, with the Crobar VIP section to the left, the guest section and bar to the right, and a remarkably massive stage right in front of it all. A gigantic circular white curtain was hanging down from the ceiling right in the center of the main dance floor, which later on became the subject of some interesting light shows.

Doors were open at 11PM which was precisely when I started my opening set. Same as my opening for Marco V, it was Melodic Techno all the way, at a lower BPM range this time though, but with the same trippy feeling that I like to send out to the crowd at this point of the night. I speculated that attendance would be ever better than Marco V’s event judging from the amount of people who were waiting outside when I first arrived to FdB. Indeed, my speculations were proven when just at my very first track there were already hundreds of ravers marching in the venue in all of its sections. As the crowd kept growing I began taking the set up a notch, progressively building up momentum in concordance with both the crowd needs and the consideration that must be given for the forthcoming warm up and main sets. Gradually the venue was beginning to fill up, with a couple of thousands already marking their territory towards the end of my opening, and the vibes were looking good already with the crowd grooving in their spots and slowly moving into party mode. Not much more I can say about my own set, one of the disadvantages for reviewing an event I’m taking part of, so I’ll count on your own mini reviews of my performance for that matter!

My fellow NRJ Mastermix partners and Beirut In The Mix DJs Ronin & Nesta were assigned the warm up duties for the night. Picking up from where I left off, Ronin & Nesta continued progressively building up momentum while the crowd continued to expand further. Feeding off my trippy Melodic Techno and shifting domains to some groovy Progressive House, Ronin & Nesta were quick to begin showcasing their refined taste in electronic music and advanced mixing skills over the decks. Their set first followed a somewhat increasing slope in terms of energy level before they began playing around with the crowd’s pace by driving the flow up and down, teasing here and satisfying there, leaving the crowd screaming both ways – either for more, or in gratitude. Ronin & Nesta took all their time in going across their wide taste in EDM while fitting in their track selection perfectly. The crowd was loving them as always, and they were interacting back with the same enthusiasm and vigor that they have gotten their fans hooked to. Another outstanding performance from the boys who are increasingly becoming Lebanon’s favorite DJ duo for more and more people!

Sharam from Deep Dish took over the decks, kicking off his main set with a dreamy intro composed of epic string chords, before the aggressive beat was punched in, setting the crowd ablaze. Drawing his tracks from his Macbook on which Traktor was running, Sharam understood the Lebanese crowd’s psychology and knew precisely what to feed his fans. It also helped that it wasn’t Sharam’s first time in Lebanon, as he has already performed here alongside Dubfire as Deep Dish. I wouldn’t say that Sharam built up his set as most DJs would normally do, bur rather kicked things off at maximum energy and maintained that energy level relatively constant throughout the night. Sharam’s sound was characterized with those dry in-your-face heavy kicks, roaring aggressive basslines, heavy tribal percussion, high pitched effects, and occasional vocals, a lethal combination that proved its worth over the Lebanese ravers. Sharam’s set would often feel monotonous, but that certainly was not an issue for the crowd of thousands that was dancing non-stop all throughout the set. It was dance music in its raw form, not really about well written melodies or creatively innovated sounds that leave a lasting impression upon their listeners, but rather about just getting hooked to the pattern and responding by dancing relentlessly. Sharam slid in his more known vocal material, either through playing his actual production/remix or by throwing in an unexpected acapella, but over 90% of the set was pure underground House music that got thousands stomping and flailing. Sharam was really enjoying his time as well and was feeding off the energy emitted by the crowd to the point that he specifically requested that all lights get shut off to create an even darker ambience. A crowd killer by all means, Sharam delivered a solid performance of tough, merciless, straight to the point dance music, tailored to cater for a crowd that has one thing on its mind: dancing.

The closing set came courtesy of yet another NRJ Mastermix DJ: Fady Ferraye. Amsterdam based DJ, producer, and label head Fady Ferraye had apparently just one thing in mind: to suck out whatever tiny bits of energy were left among the crowd. If my opening can be labeled as Melodic Techno, then Fady’s closing defines Techno as an entire genre! The amount of energy Fady was transmitting through his music was just inconceivable. It was a nonstop journey into hypnotic Techno rhythms, machine distorted vocals, irregular drum patterns, and the occasional acidy touch that adds insult to injury. After I had been dancing nonstop for 6 hours straight I thought I’d be out of any energy to go on, but Fady Ferraye managed to prove me wrong just as he did with the couple of thousand ravers who were unable to leave. A performance that truly stands out and sends you back home in awe, one that I can safely announce is the finest closing set I have experienced in my long history of raving.

Unfortunately I was compelled to leave just when the closing set was, well, closed, and thus I was not able to attend the afterhours session with G! & Special_Kase.; nevertheless I heard nothing but positive reviews about that part of the night… or should I say morning?

With a crowd of thousands, sublime music performances, outstanding organization standards, flawless sound and light, and interesting extras such as those cute little angels flying above the crowd, Q Entertainment and NRJ have closed the summer season with one of the most successful musical nights this summer. To add a cherry on top, it was officially announced via posters that Sander van Doorn will be making his long awaited and much anticipated debut in Lebanon this December! But who knows, maybe we’ll surprise you with a thing or two before then… ;)
DIONYSOS
Junior Admin
Junior Admin

Postby Sin » Mon Aug 25, 2008 1:58 am

Sin
New Trancer
New Trancer

Postby A-Cube » Mon Aug 25, 2008 9:26 am

Ah well...as long as you people had fun :mrgreen: ...

Welcome to DJ.Malaria you may wonder why I called this group Dj Malaria.
Just like Malaria takes over a person's body when it hits them i want my music's originality to control the soul of whoever hears it in that sense my music is more powerful than Malaria,and I'm sure it will but in a positive way of
course.

PLUR men wejje...
A-Cube
Trance Officer
Trance Officer

Postby Genesis » Mon Aug 25, 2008 10:00 am

If your trance was a pretty blonde ballerina; then what I listen to is a peed-off bulky bouncer pounding the living shit out of your ballerina.
Genesis
Psy FrEaK
Psy FrEaK

Postby Qulture » Mon Aug 25, 2008 11:02 am

it sounds like a cool event ... sharam can deliver a good set , or he can go tooo commercial .. depending on his mood ... thats why , when Dubfire plays with him , its a great combination of styles , you never get bored !!
Qulture
Trance FrEaK
Trance FrEaK

Postby jayk » Mon Aug 25, 2008 1:41 pm

to summarize it all from my side

i walked into forum at around 1:20am
everything was PITCH BLACK !! All i could see were "shadows" of fellow clubbers running, jumping and walking right by me. it was pretty scary i must admit ..... especially with the visualisations of CARS CRASHING / WOMAN RUNNING AWAY FROM A MONSTER being played on the visual screens (mmmm why the negativity and blood???)

I figured it was still RONIN & NESTA behind the decks since i was sure that this was their sound coming from the surprisingly good sound system (+1 to Q! for fixing his mistake from MarcoV's gig considering the SOUND)

The second SHARAM came on... LIGHTS CAME ON... like that was supposed to surprise the crowd .. i was happy to see light, yet disappointed to notice faces and to tell people apart !!
The lighting setup was so "CONCERT LIKE" .. I expected Whitney Houston to come on stage and sing "I will always Love you"

Mmmmm .. the crowd was trying really hard to have a good time, even myself.. i was pushing hard to get my legs to move. the 14 and 15 year olds seemed like they were the only ones having a good time. Faking dance moves .. teaching their OH SO SLUTTY 15yr old girl friends how to move and dance to EM as they whistled on and on and onnnn. Im pretty sure this kind of crowd is alsooo found in other promoters gigs (eg MixFM) .. but u just dont notice them since there is also a QUALITY AND MUSICALLY EDUCATED crowd attending their gigs

SHARAMs music was pretty awful. Cheesy vocals every now and then (was never a fan of cheesy vocals) .. cheesy housey beats every now and then with a COUPLE of REAAAAAAAAAALY good techno tracks that had me moving for a good minute or two !

Mmmmm and can some1 please explain what those "angels" were doing ?? it felt like there were 2 big clouds about to fall over the crowd .. were they really supposed to be angels? And at that point, i noticed how CHEAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAP the crowd was ... since they started throwing glowsticks and empty water bottles at the poor things hanging up :( :( like i really wanted to help, since the SECURITY was pretty awful and no1 tried stopping it !!!!!!!!

Mmmmm as i started to get really really bored .. i decided to have a little walk around the VERYYYYY spacious venue (since it seemed like Q! was expecting alotttttttttttttttttttttttt more clubbers then the ones attended knowing that FORUM DE BEYROUTH space aint cheap) and check out whats happening. Honestly, non of the people i knew when i stopped to say hello, told me they were having a good time .. all i heard was "what the hell is this ?! wanna go to b0 ?" ... orrr "ino 3adeh ca va .. we're leaving soon to silicon.. inta sho 3amel??"

I was TRYING REALLY hard to get some postiivity out of people/friends just to enjoy my time . . but i REALLY REALLY couldnt .. who was i trying to fool ?? ME ??

I left the venue at around 4:30 .. really really dissappointed once again with Q's outcome and the 28dollars i forced myself to spend since iv been feeling really dry on cash this month. Also noticed there were alot more people outside than inside .. since they were all stuck outside because simply the event lacked sooo much organisation
Free Your Mind .:.: To deny our impulses is to deny the very thing that makes us human. :.:. 110 bpm 130

http://www.thesuc.com/jay
http://www.jayk.beattunes.info
jayk
New Trancer
New Trancer

Postby nabzkay » Mon Aug 25, 2008 1:56 pm

Marco V rating: 2/5
Sharam rating: 0/5

I went to "Sharam" gig with poor expectations due to the fact that "Q Entertainment" has always been less than average compared to other promoters (whether old or new) in the market.

However, Q Entertainment did surprise me with "Sharam" at Forum De Beyrouth by offering way less and more cheapness than I could ever expect from a 4 year old event-organization in Lebanon. (now its since 1998 - as if that makes it any better)

In a hall that was badly set-up, poor air conditioning, cheap laser lighting and sad supposed-to-be acrobatic angels that were begging helplessly for release in the air, I couldn't help but feel the cheapness and low enthusiasm from the organizers themselves.

The crowd on the other hand that "Sharam" attracted were mostly kids with no prior music education whatsoever, some freaky, others trying way too hard to "belong." At one point, it felt like I was in a zoo - very reminiscent of the Bacardi/Mix FM scene back in the early years of this decade where the 'whistle' used to rule.

Visualization was more or less sad and had nothing to do with the concept (if there was any) or Sharam and his music style.

Sharam's music did teach me something and that there is such thing as "house music gone bad." I was never a fan of 'Deep Dish' to start with, and when we got the bad half of the duo there was not much room left to ignore the world and focus on the music.

With Q Entertainment walking in the shadows of MixFM a la Sky Bar/Crobar issue, announcing the next gig during the event, copying MixFM's James Zabiela artwork as well as the copyright text that MixFM uses, I was miraculously able to find more cheapness, bad taste and no-creativity by just looking at the cheap white "sharshaf" hanging in the middle of the venue - a clear and evident bad/cheap copy of Nick Warren's mushroom at BIEL - praying it would fall down and cause some sort of mental Q-damage. (As if "satin" makes 'hideous' sound any better)

I wont comment on the opening/warm-up and the closing sets by our local DJs and friends Ronin & Nesta, G! & Special_Kase as I missed out on them all.

All in all, and in my point of view, the event was nothing but a big major mess in the hands of organizers who can't see beyond their shoes. To know that Q Entertainment will be getting Sander Van Doorn later this year, I cant but feel bad for Sander, the genuine Lebanese ravers and our night life in general so long as the guilty is still running loose.

Finally, if you're not open to accept criticism then a la Madonna "you can F off!" There are 2 sides to every coin!
Last edited by nabzkay on Mon Aug 25, 2008 6:59 pm, edited 2 times in total.
nabzkay
Occasional Trancer
Occasional Trancer

Postby lebanese_raver » Mon Aug 25, 2008 3:20 pm

lebanese_raver
Often Trancer
Often Trancer

Postby Nesta » Mon Aug 25, 2008 3:21 pm

I would like to thank Q for all these efforts they are making..

I attended all their events, and guys this is the most succesful event for them! Lights were great, VJs were great, VIP and VVIP sections were great, Sound was EXCELLENT!

DIO's set was excellent!! he keeps surprising me more and more!! Excellent flow, excellent track selection and excellent skills... I have a lot of things to say about DIO but again i just wished this forum was in french lol

we took over the decks at around 12AM, followed with melodic techno too but at a lower bpm them some prog.. Saturday's night crowd was crazy, they showed a great response to each and every single track..

Sharam began at 1:45 .. the intro track was PRELUDE from Joe T Vanelli .. Cool track to start a set.. then he played some pure techno and throwed some vocals like each 45 minutes.. the set was carefully balanced! actually he surprised me because i thought he would be playing commercial stuffs.. Actually Sharam did a great job.. the set was really flawless..

As for fady ferraye... CHOU HAL FADY!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
It was actually one of the best sets i've listened to!! WAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAWWWWWWWWWW
Fady Ferraye proved for me on saturday night that he's the BEST LEBANESE DJ ... he kept me dancing till the end, i enjoyed every single track he played, his transitions are just WOW.. Fady ferraye CHAPEAU BAS!!!!!!!!!!
he played track like Call & Response, Church Of Nonsense, One night in new york city (a new remix) etc...

G! & Special_K were great too.. I couldn't listen to all of their sets since i was really so tired.. they played some great deep house, with some classics..

All in all, the event was excellent!! Thumbs up to Q & NRJ!!!

See you in the next one!!!

PEACE
"Underground is where we live... "

Beirut In the Mix
T: + 961 3 734572
E: nabih@beirutinthemix.com
W: www.beirutinthemix.com
My Space: www.myspace.com/roninandnesta
You Tube: www.youtube.com/roninandnesta

NRJ Mastermix with Nesta every Friday @ 10 PM !
Nesta
Often Trancer
Often Trancer

Postby Nesta » Mon Aug 25, 2008 3:36 pm

Beirut In the Mix

Nesta
Often Trancer
Often Trancer

Postby lebanese_raver » Mon Aug 25, 2008 3:42 pm

^Lovely track in the vid!
lebanese_raver
Often Trancer
Often Trancer

Postby Icepick » Mon Aug 25, 2008 3:52 pm

^name of the track in the video ?? :mrgreen:
once upon a time there was a boy that was born to make a change in this cruel world of mortals. this boy became a man and this man became old and died. thats about it..
Icepick
Fulltime Trancer
Fulltime Trancer

Postby DonSerj » Mon Aug 25, 2008 4:00 pm

^^who's the one in white?
I bet it's Nesta, wouhhahahahaha!
what's the track name in the video?
DonSerj
Often Trancer
Often Trancer

Postby DIONYSOS » Mon Aug 25, 2008 4:00 pm

jay & nabz, I can't say that I'm surprised to read your negativeness - something I've been expecting for weeks now - and I won't bother replying to each and every point because it wouldn't really change a thing: you knew what you were going to say about the event even before going. But for the sake of the forum (and I am requesting this as a TH crew, not as the opening DJ for Sharam), let us not drag the forum down in another inter-promoter war that's only damaging the image of both promoters as that of TH. You shared your other side of the coin and it's here for everyone to read, so let us not take it any further... Would it make sense if I would post a reply saying how great the event was although I already reviewed it positively? Of course not, just as repeating your negative feedback won't make any sense either and would only result in more tension around here, more damage to the image of TH, and more work for the TH crew. I don't believe that anyone understands how paradoxical is my role here, as a TH crew and an NRJ DJ working with Q, simultaneously. So please, EVERYONE, from friends in NRJ/Q to friends on the other side, don't place me in an even tighter spot.

Nesta, pretend it's in French for a few minutes and spit it out biatch! :D

ejre b 7azze I never get reviewed :(
DIONYSOS
Junior Admin
Junior Admin

Postby Nesta » Mon Aug 25, 2008 4:10 pm

Nooooo Ronin is in white hehehehehe!!!

the track is: FPS - Mist (Original Mix)

DIO you'll have myy reviewww in french!!!!!! hahahahahaha

cheeeers

Beirut In the Mix

Nesta
Often Trancer
Often Trancer

Next

Return to Reviews & Pics