[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 488: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 488: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 384: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4762: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3897)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4764: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3897)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4765: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3897)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4766: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3897)
TranceHits.com • View topic - Frustration about EDM Development in the Middle-East

Frustration about EDM Development in the Middle-East

Anything related to music is discussed here.

Moderator: MODs

Frustration about EDM Development in the Middle-East

Postby Night Stalker » Fri Jan 21, 2011 2:39 am

i know this forum is a trance forum... and i know most if not all the DJs we got are trance DJs..

however, the whole scene in our region have been stagnant for relatively a huge time.... to be honest, in terms of EDM it hasn't progressed much if at all. I remember going to one of the first EDM major events in the region (i think it was Oakenfold in 2005 in Dubai) and things haven't changed much since then... not only did we not have people explore EDM other than Trance and House to a lesser degree, but we seem to be still limited to commercial enjoyment even to those two choices. It seems to me that the vast majority were taking it as a trend to follow, meaning they never really appreciated EDM, and were only doing it because it was "the hip thing to do".. the vast majority that attend EDM events are absolutely clueless even about the commercial stuff they are attending. DJs and enthusiasts, although far and between, seem to be stuck on doing more of the same, without any intention to evolve, or explore other options either.

I had a dream, and legit hope back on my first event in the region, not so long after, considering how we as people seem to be adopting foreign cultures that we might not be far off in a few years. I almost guaranteed myself, that since we are so influenced by British and US cultures, we will soon enough just like we copy cat everything from "who will win the million" to "Arabs got Talent" that we will also have no problems in hosting some events that parallel somehow what these pioneering nations are doing. STILL, not even the slightest HOPE of a D&B event going on... although it's MAINSTREAM in the UK and an absolute KING in the US, the two motherlands of EDM...

yet...... it STILL..... after many years, not even hardtrance or psy are even getting a look at on a mass level, let alone other forms of EDM...

i'm inclined to think that EDM will disappear as a form of music before i get a chance to attend an event in the Arab-World featuring music like this:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eGhs0GTs4Qg

Mind you, the FIRST rave i EVER been to, was in 1998... and that was the EXACT type of music i listened to in illegal warehouse raves in Chicago ... absolutely mind boggling that MORE than a decade later we managed to miss the "update".

Step Forward: This post as much as it was a rant on my part, it is a "CALL" to you people that might have a say in changing this... all of you DJ's, promoters and enthusiasts out there... do you're part in advancing the scene, even if that development wasn't you're preference music of choice, it is you're duty as a RAVER in a DEVELOPING region to help expand the horizon.

so let's not let much more "days go by" without us taking any steps, shall we?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7aKOVNv_Sic
:|
BEATS PER MINUTE OFFICIAL CRACK FIEND.
its about time to set the BPM ON FIRE.....

"It wasn't God that did this to us man, it was you... you fucking fat narcotics agent!"

Have you watched: "Fear and Loathing in Las Vegas on WEED man?"
Night Stalker
Veteran Raver
Veteran Raver

Re: Frustration about EDM Development in the Middle-East

Postby Genesis » Fri Jan 21, 2011 4:00 pm

Aziz, it's been like that for a while I think. Now, I've never been out in Beirut really and I'm not there now to see how it is but I'm reading plenty about it particularly from EDM heads from this forum. For a good 4-year period, Beirut was spoilt with choice. There was a time when two events were advertised for the same evening in different venues and then the promoters, being typically Lebanese ufo-believing conspiracy-theorist child-minded idiots, came to this actual forum accusing each other of INTENTIONALLY setting the event up in the same evening for some bizarre financial-driven attention-seeking reason. As though there's just 5 clubbers in Beirut and they're competing over them. They quickly forget how the Lebanese are easily manipulated into "getting into" something just cause it's the latest fad or what's making the headlines in the west and then obviously abuse the living shit out of it.

The promoters then made those ridiculously huge and expensive events charging people ridiculous money. And when they let the sweaty, sticky, ignorant, topless, and EDM-illeterate into the venue, they made a VIP section, and VVIP and then VVVIP for people who love their EDM so much that they are ready to pay so much money to get to the event and don't want their experience ruined by those mindless morons on the main floor. Then they put chairs and tables in there... Tables.... T A B L E S .... IN A FUCKING EDM GIGGGG!!!! You might as well serve dinner and a sheesha afterwards! What exactly are you offering in a VVIP? Dinner with the DJ afterwards backstage? A quicky with the groupies? What's EDM come to; rock n' roll? Is Alice Cooper back there? Fuckin shit.... This is absurd!

I don't know about the rest of the Arab world, but Beirut sounds like a pretty shit place to be going out clubbing in. Is there even "Clubbing" anymore? Are there any clubs that just pay the DJ to fly in, play a gig to a few hundred people on a nice sound system in the club, and fly out the next morning? I don't actually know, but I certainly don't think so. It has to be Mix FM, NRG, WTF, PAYLIGOV (or some shit like that..) BBQLSD... lashing out money, diverting traffic (!!!), renting out Biel and FdB (probably the Bekaa Valley would be the next biggest venue in the country... You could go dance in the vineyards), and getting dancers and people dangling off the roof, and some guy shooting fire out of his arse. Well, good for you. Well done. I've only went as far as lighting dust bunnies of fire, but well done. Your mum must be very proud. But what does that have to do with fucking EDM!!! What is it, a show?! Any EDM head would be just happy with the music, but noooooo... We have to go big (and pointless)!
And then the DJ appears... GOD appears. And that's a whole different story that I won't get into.. lol

But here comes the flip side; the Lebanese are fun people who like to go out, have a drink, go for a dance, enjoy the music, meet a woman or hang out with mates or whatever. And if the clubs offered that, then that's what would happen. But the problem is that the big names are so big on the scene (Tiesto, Armin, Ferry, PvD, and that big techno guy...) and are made even BIGGER in Lebanon (thanks to radio stations that are, imo, just as dangerous and manipulative as religious figures and politicians) that the local DJs are not good enough to satisfy those out-goers. Even an underground excellent DJ from Europe is no good anymore. And they've made "TRANCE" the hip thing that no other genre would be good enough or accepted. Nobody knows about DnB or psy and that's ok. It is because if they do go to an underground excellent club to a local or underground foreign DJ's gig and LEARN then they'll be grand. That's how I learnt about psy; walked into a London club, some DJ playing awesome music, it was too dark to even see who it was, and I loved it... surprise surprise it was J00F... an underground heads-down excellent legend DJ.
I only hear of Basement in Beirut. That's probably the only true EDM club in the city that attracts local and foreign talent (talent, not superstar DJ ) on regular basis.

It's all the promoters' fault. ALL of it.

I've ranted, but it had to be said.

If I was a Lebanese clubber, I'd feel like that;

When in reality, I'd love to feel like this;

And yes, "Arabs Got Talent" is hilarious :lol: :lol: :lol: ... I don't have arabic TV but a friend of mine does and I was ripped to shreds watching it once.

Aaaahhh.... felt good to post something up on TH. :mrgreen:
Genesis
Psy FrEaK
Psy FrEaK

Postby ziz00_909 » Fri Jan 21, 2011 6:55 pm

Actually all of that said.. and it's not even close to the whole picture...there are loads to add!! and it has become so monotone that it's pointless..

EDM development has seized to exist here the moment it become 1st successful...and everyone wanted to get a piece of the cake afterwards
(Speaking on a Lebanese Scale)

The Responsibility like mentioned above lie primarily on the Promoters..who i think due to all the conflict between them and the "who's got a bigger dick" competition they're having in the past couple of years are the main reason for the situation EM has got to in this country..

Clubbing you say?.. in Lebo Land..there's no such thing anymore..
Beside the 3 digits number of Commercial/Mainstream Places we have here..
Clubbing have a definition of: music ignorant attenders in some over packed and over priced Bars/Pubs that still plays some decent music (which is 3 or maybe 4) that's the closest it can get.. with a waste of Local Talent that gets burned due to lack of opportunities and of course with the tendency to focus on foreign talents when it comes to any event larger than the usual midweek nights (that i definitely prefer)..
well dunno if i'm missing some.. but i can name B018 - Q-Bar(never tried tho i hear some good feedback abt the place) and BASEMENT who sadly had to shutdown abt 10 days ago and leave its current location (it's gonna relocate..tho it's still undecided and no dates set) and some other place maybe..and that's how long the list is..

We really need someone to go buy a warehouse and just install a DJ booth with some big ass speakers..go get a couple of local guys who knows a shit or 2 abt decent music(and trust me we do have a good numbers of good DJs) and that's freakin it..ntg more added.. here you go..our 1st CLUB! :roll:
naturally Artificial!
ziz00_909
Certified Trancer
Certified Trancer

Postby Night Stalker » Fri Jan 28, 2011 2:39 am

"It wasn't God that did this to us man, it was you... you fucking fat narcotics agent!"

Night Stalker
Veteran Raver
Veteran Raver

Postby Night Stalker » Fri Jan 28, 2011 4:26 am

this might not go well with many people around here.however, take a break from the Arab way of beating on the same Arab worn out drums of lies, and take a deep breath and have an open mind for a differing view, anyways, i got faith that EDM fans in Lebanon should be saturated with the types of truths that everyday politics seems to be offering them day in/out.

i will only speak what i always do believe in a truthful manner whether it's taken with open arms or guns. And i'm referring to DJs, and especially ones in Lebanon.

The fact that someone with the pedigree, knowledge and dedication of GEN missing the major fact and blaming it on the "corporate" side alone, is what tempted me to make this post.

It is funny that we all agree on the fact that we lack the type of judgmental fans, and we agree that most of the fans are "nod-heads" that will nod at everything that is cool and new. Yet, at the same time we blame the "corporate" side for the fact that our scene has not only not improved but, DIGRESSED, in the 5-8 years since we had our first major gig breakthrough. I fail to see why, that "corporates" would choose to only have PvD for random hypothetical example over FABIO for an "extended period of 5-8 years, where PvD should by pass of time not be the new cool thing anymore". Why wouldn't it be just like we progressed from "copying" , who wants to be a millionaire to Arabs got talent... that we for that "eternity of time" got stuck in doing the same stuff and ONLY WORSE over and over again.

more importantly, where was the "contribution" of those local DJs and most importantly from Lebanon that got UNBELIEVABLE support, mostly because they were born in the same geographical location, when it comes to the "impossible" task of improving a scene of "know nothing but nod my head to what i think is cool" ... sadly... they have done little more than imitate and to a Chinese standard of what the scene was when it started.

I mean i really don't get it... aren't EDM fans supposed to be the MOST open minded? how come that we got more progress in TV shows than we do in EDM?

anyways, rant off...

Hospitality Records is me Label.. and club Velfare, Tokyo/ Fabric, London are me spots...

:mrgreen:

enjoy: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8yCqi75LdHc

Night Stalker
Veteran Raver
Veteran Raver

Postby samer » Mon Jan 31, 2011 2:09 pm

you guys are missing out on the most important difference.. CULTURE!!
let's take lebanon for example, lebanese are not programmed to go listen to music they dont know (As in style) or to check DJs they never heard about. Sure there are still some geniune EDM fans that dont think like that, but comon' guys let's be realistic, it's not the states, not the UK, not Germany.. the EDM fans in the whole country wont even reach 10,000 in my opinion.. out of those how many do u think they fall under the adventurous category? would that percentage even make it profitable to any club to take the chance of bringing none A class DJs for a night? i've seen it few times and it failed thus it's barely happening anymore.

and pls Basement is not at all a true EDM club, it plays RnB FFS!!! it's just the current hip and fad in leb for the past couple of years to go there and be IN! most of the ppl careless about the music being played..
Never argue with idiots. They bring you down to their level and beat you with experience
samer
AuraLLy WaStEd
AuraLLy WaStEd

Postby Night Stalker » Fri Feb 11, 2011 4:02 am

Night Stalker
Veteran Raver
Veteran Raver

Postby Qulture » Mon Feb 14, 2011 5:01 pm

^
I think arabs got talent is an important show , finally there is a show where arabs can show their talents , that are not strictly limited to singing arabic music ! The youth these days have branched out from the traditional singing as a talent way of thinking , and this is the first big program or platform where such talents can be showcased , and most important show the public that its not only about singing anymore !

Aziz , Culture is everything in this issue . lets face it , the majority of people in the middle east are not into EDM , and prefer music they can relate to , which is Arabic Music . In my country Jordan , the people who listen to non arabic music and actually go out to events that play such music , is less than 5%. Dont also forget that the economic situation is also a key role in this issue . Most of the people cant afford the luxury of spending money on such events . Food and healthcare become more important . Also , the drug issue . All over the world , EDM evolved with drugs especially ecstasy being a major role player , wether we like it or not !

so all these factors add up to result in a middle east that in my opinion will take much longer to develop musically in order for us to see such quality EDM events on a regular basis .
Qulture
Trance FrEaK
Trance FrEaK

Postby Night Stalker » Fri Feb 18, 2011 2:14 am

the "Jarab has got talent" has NOTHING to do with promoting talent or caring about... was simply a copy cat of a western culture revenue generating show WITHOUT the intention of really looking for talents. I mean u can only look at the judges, and how they perform.. it's beyond PATHETIC.... at times the way they praise some of the performances i would confuse them with people from the Saddam or Mubarak secret service praising their leaders...

it is beyond PATHETIC how the show operates and beyond PATHETIC how much "talent" we got, at least on TV.

i totally believe in what you are saying...but come on... how naive you can be...i'm disappointed that you rate the "intentions" of this show so highly.... when the actuality is just staring you boldly in the eye...

Night Stalker
Veteran Raver
Veteran Raver

Postby Qulture » Sat Feb 19, 2011 1:41 pm

^

Do you really think there are people who would do these kind of events or shows without having the intention of generating money one way or the other ?? Whats naive , is you thinking that in 2011 , there are still competent, driven , professional people who are willing to to do such shows for small or no profit at all. Even if these people exist , they wont find the proper means to go through with it . Although the show has alot of needed to improvements , and is far from being perfect , i still think its a good start , regardless of the judges who you think are incompetent and inexperienced .

The only way to get such a show on a major station in the middle east like MBC is to forecast large profits , period .

I think the show will improve in time, in coming seasons, more people ( hopefully with real talents ) will audition , maybe they will change the judges , or the judges will get better at what they do, and of course the shows popularity will attract a bigger audience, which means more money for MBC , which in turn will mean that they will make sure the show improves .

Anyways , its a good start regardless of the intention .
Qulture
Trance FrEaK
Trance FrEaK

Postby Night Stalker » Wed Feb 23, 2011 7:40 pm

Night Stalker
Veteran Raver
Veteran Raver

Postby Qulture » Thu Feb 24, 2011 11:54 am

^

Lol ... the Usher saudi presenter is called Qussay btw ... hahaha

I am not on twitter or facebook , so i dont follow or tweet anyone ..... although i am thinking of getting myself a twitter account after the role in the Egyptian and Tunisian revolution .

I actually dont have a favorite judge , its not really about the judges for me , and i know they have made alot of mistakes by letting talented people go and taking stupid people in . But they make me laugh , and i know they will learn to judge better in time . Tomorrow , the first live show starts where the public starts to vote for the contestants . Lets see how that goes .

FULA , SHAM3A , MINAWARAH ..... :wink:
Qulture
Trance FrEaK
Trance FrEaK

Postby Night Stalker » Mon Feb 28, 2011 10:40 pm

Night Stalker
Veteran Raver
Veteran Raver

Postby Qulture » Tue Mar 01, 2011 1:30 pm

^

the voting shows started last friday 8 pm Mecca time, apparently each show will have 8 performers , and the voting will happen during the show ! at the end , the act with the highest show gets automatically through to the next round , and then the judges will vote one of the 2nd and 3rd place winners through to the next round , and the other 6 acts will leave . This will happen for 6 weeks , then you will have 12 acts in the final .

Last fridays show was ok , expected it better shows from the acts , but it was fun . check out and let me know what you think . There is also and MBC channel on youtube , has all the acts on there as well .

I am expecting an email from MBC offering me a position in their marketing team !!! :wink:
Qulture
Trance FrEaK
Trance FrEaK

Postby Night Stalker » Thu Mar 10, 2011 1:39 pm

dude, get that "paper" brotha... i reckon i would be watching the show as well as MANY others, if u was not in marketing but at least instead wearing the bandana instead of the Saudi Usher...

either way, BEST of luck 7abeebi... although i encourage u to push for a more "visible" position (yes, i'm too impatient to believe in one step at a time theories) ..regardless, i "sincerely believe" you're more than significant and knowledgeable about the youth to slot the position of a judge, let alone in marketing.

either way, i would be over the moon if they were "sensible enough" to take advantage of what you could offer in either field.

and then as the "religious zealot" that iam i gotta end me post with a DnB video (rest assured that this verse as long as others weren't hand picked "verses" and were completely random off youtube and therefore, could represent a randomly selected sample).

so my "GOD IS RIGHT".... mmmmkay!

HOSPITALITY
in theory at least ain't a bad religion i reckon, innit? :p

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OyabNkAw ... False&NR=1
:D

Night Stalker
Veteran Raver
Veteran Raver

Next

Return to The Music Room