[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 488: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 488: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4762: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3897)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4764: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3897)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4765: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3897)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4766: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3897)
TranceHits.com • View topic - What is stopping many DJs from going digital?

What is stopping many DJs from going digital?

Anything related to music is discussed here.

Moderator: MODs

What is stopping many DJs from going digital?

Postby crow » Tue Sep 28, 2010 11:56 pm

Seriously. Specifically Trance DJs? It almost feels like they are insisting on sticking to CDs. I'm only curious as to why they have not shifted to digital yet.
crow
Trance Officer
Trance Officer

Re: What is stopping many DJs from going digital?

Postby Raneem » Wed Sep 29, 2010 7:37 am

Pioneer CDJ-2000 is one of the main reasons for me; a Flash Memory is more than enough :)

...CDs are still fun as well!
Raneem
Ultimate Trancer
Ultimate Trancer

Postby Qulture » Wed Sep 29, 2010 11:31 am

^

Did you find the pitch control to be a bit unnacurrate compared to the 1000's ?? The need to work on it saraha , it annoyed me alot when i first tried them out !

Khaled , why do they have to switch to digital in the first place? People like Sasha are going back to cdjs now , i think if you are good at what you do , and you are technically competent , there is no need to go digital if you are comfortable with the result . I know the possibilities are endless with computers and programs , but many house and trance Djs stayed put with cds , and prefered to increase their skills in that area !
Qulture
Trance FrEaK
Trance FrEaK

Postby maDJam » Wed Sep 29, 2010 2:55 pm

Well to clarify- a lot of DJs are already digital (CDs are digital!) but people like Sasha have switched away from the laptop/Ableton/Maven combination and went back to the CDJs (with SD cards and USB keys, NOT CDs) all thanks to the Quantize function that really does keep the beats PERFECT in every loop. He told me that his eyes were "like sand" on Mondays after weekends gigging... and was so happy to be back on the CDJ2000 + DJM800 + EFX1000 combination.

The Pitch is perfect on the CDJ2000 (as long as you have the latest firmware on it http://forums.pioneerdj.com/eve/forums/ ... /207101424) and most hire companies i've used the new players on haven't even updated them. All it takes is to carry the firmware/driver update on your USB key and do it yourself before the gig- only takes 2 min to update anyway.

Other DJs are using external/portable hard drives with the CDJ2000s...

Whatever you choose to work with is a matter of personal preference- and Pioneer have really found the right solution for me-

BLESS the CDJ2000!! :D
ahMAD aJAM
maDJam
Occasional Trancer
Occasional Trancer

Postby crow » Wed Sep 29, 2010 3:49 pm

I think I now understand what you guys are talking about. Though I still think that the CDJ 2000s are a setback. I mean, controllers are over flooding the market while the 2000's are still getting you to primarily use CDs. It's like an extension for digital media yet with a CD slot. More importantly, many DJs are taking control over the tracks themselves and can do so much, yet I feel that many DJs just prefer to keep them the way they are? I don't know.

I feel that digital DJing (excluding CDs) makes it more fun. I can never imagine myself playing with CDs anymore. It's just too boring.

Madjam, you know what I'm talking about right?

Then again, to each his own. I am aware of the power and features of the CDJ 2000, yet not too convinced with its possibilities. Get my drift? I feel that many DJs have a thing with new technology. Remember how long it took before EDM vinyl users shifted to CDs? I think it is the same case here except no one particularly talks about it.

Correct me if I am wrong.
crow
Trance Officer
Trance Officer

Postby Night Stalker » Thu Sep 30, 2010 2:33 pm

got no clue dj'ing wise... one thing i know for sure is that: "you can't teach an old dog new tricks"... people tend to respond to new forms of technology with varying degrees... some adopt it quick, some take a long time, and others don't adopt it at all!

i don't buy into the whole notion of i'm too good of a DJ i can beat a computer excuse that some are using though.

8)
BEATS PER MINUTE OFFICIAL CRACK FIEND.
its about time to set the BPM ON FIRE.....

"It wasn't God that did this to us man, it was you... you fucking fat narcotics agent!"

Have you watched: "Fear and Loathing in Las Vegas on WEED man?"
Night Stalker
Veteran Raver
Veteran Raver

Postby DIONYSOS » Fri Oct 01, 2010 11:03 am

I'm just scared my MacBook crashes or my Traktor freezes live or something... Plus isn't it a hassle to hook up your "digital" setup into a standard CDJ/DJM setup if another DJ is already playing?
DIONYSOS
Junior Admin
Junior Admin

Postby Genesis » Fri Oct 01, 2010 2:57 pm

Software unreliability is always a reason besides, if it's not broken why fix it? If hardware DJs are happy and are delivering the goods with their equipment, why attempt switching to software?
Genesis
Psy FrEaK
Psy FrEaK

Postby crow » Sat Oct 02, 2010 1:11 am

crow
Trance Officer
Trance Officer

Postby Qulture » Sat Oct 02, 2010 2:41 pm

I think you cannot expect everyone to adapt to new technology at the same time or even ever . Some people might try it and hate it , and prefer to stay on CDJs , or even vinyl ( like craig richards and alot of the Fabric crew ) , while others tried it and completely switched to it ! There is no specific reason or rule that you can apply where people will either adapt or stay the same .

Its just like with mobile phones today . Some people moved to the iphone / blackberry / smart phones era , where i am sure soon enough you will be able to take a shower using your phone looking at the extremely fast moving technology in that field . While others stayed with the regular phones , that simply have 4 or 5 basic features. At the end of the day , they both do the same BASIC AND PRIMARY thing they were designed to do , make calls !!

The can trade in their phones for a new iphone 3G if they want to .... But the question is , is the new Iphone really something that suits them ??
Qulture
Trance FrEaK
Trance FrEaK

Return to The Music Room