[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 488: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 488: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4762: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3897)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4764: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3897)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4765: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3897)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4766: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3897)
TranceHits.com • View topic - Picking a DJ name

Picking a DJ name

Talk about anything on your mind in here!

Moderator: MODs

Picking a DJ name

Postby Roland » Mon Mar 08, 2010 2:21 pm

Hey everyone,

Its been a while since i posted a new topic here ... I want to pick a name for me as a DJ, made a long research cos i wanted something to be close to my real name "Roland" ...

I found a really intresting name, that is Rollin'

According to Urban Dictionary Rollin means:

1- I term used to define a drug trip, usually for 'hard core' drugs such as Exstacy and Cough Syrup ex: She was rollin on E at his party, thats why she was so crazy.

2- a term by used by ravers under the influence of ecstacy. similiar to thizzin in bay area,ca.

3- to be on ecstacy or another drug that trips you out.

So, its like the perfect name for a DJ who spins Trance music and who's real name is Roland.

What do you think ? let me know your thoughts ... or if you have another suggestion please go ahead and share it
Roland
Trance FrEaK
Trance FrEaK

Re: Picking a DJ name

Postby crow » Mon Mar 08, 2010 2:29 pm

I'll be downright upfront and blunt with you: It's a shit name. When I read it, I thought you moved to playing Hiphop and R&B. Don't focus too much on picking a DJ name that MEANS something "cool" or that would SOUND "cool". Focus on a DJ name that puts you out there as a brand, as Roland Bouzakham. When people will read it, they will immediately think: Roland, EDM, great DJ! Don't try too hard or push it. And please, mishan rabbak, don't choose DJ names such as EUPHORIA, or EXTACY LOVER, or BLUE SKY OF EMOTIONAL TEARS UNDER ARMIN'S ARMPITS! Enough with the emo crap. Pick something serious. And don't use initials. It's over used. Pick something straight forward.

It is unfortunate for me that my DJ name is Krowster. At first it was Crow (cuz my family name is actually that name but in Arabic), then turns out there's another dude out there called DJ Crow, so I changed it to Krow, but people confused me with him. So since I do not play rnb/hiphop or arabic, I hated sticking to such a reputation with that DJ name, so I picked a name that some Englishman over a chatroom chose for me. It had a nice ring to it. And frankly I was not going to call myself DJ Caramelcheeks. Sorry. As much as I love the story behind that name, I would never use it as a DJ name. It all goes down to how you brand yourself and how the name will make you approachable and to be taken seriously.

Again, the last few words: TAKEN SERIOUSLY

EDIT: Oh and one more thing: It wouldn't hurt to call yourself simply Roland. Drop the "DJ". It really stands out. And it will make you more approachable. The way I see it, you gotta play with the psychology of the people a little bit. If I'm at a club you're playing at and I want to go up to you to pass by thanks and respect for your work and music mixing skills, I will obviously ask about your DJ name. Imagine the look on my face as a possible fan when you tell me "just call me Roland :) " I will actually think "wow, he is down to Earth!" . It stands out far more better than the DJs who come up with the weirdest nicknames man. Like DJ XTC UNDERSCORE FIRE OF LOVE. I'll totally brush them off and not take them seriously. And for some reason, those DJs with the weird nicknames, never really smile when they are performing. They maintain this "I'm so cool I don't have to smile at my fans while I hold a ciggie in my mouth" attitude. I hate DJs who don't smile. So stick to something simple, straight forward, and will make people feel welcomed by you, yet take you seriously. I know it sounds tough but it will click at one point :) Be patient. You won't be Armin or his minion by tonight or next week or whatever.
crow
Trance Officer
Trance Officer

Postby samer » Mon Mar 08, 2010 2:43 pm

TBH i wasnt very much fond of Rollin when i read it first.. and then when u posted the explanation of drugs and the relation with trance music I HATED IT!! sorry but IMO this is a main reason for you NOT to be using it. As someone who really likes music for music (as far as i know you) you should be against such misinterpretation and def not working to strengthen it!
Roland or Roland B are both nice.. it's not like your name is a 4 syllabus extra long word.
Never argue with idiots. They bring you down to their level and beat you with experience
samer
AuraLLy WaStEd
AuraLLy WaStEd

Postby crow » Mon Mar 08, 2010 2:45 pm

OMG DJ BLUEFACE CRYING TEARS OF RAIN WITH LIGHTNING OF JOY AND FIRE OF FLOWERY SCENT UNDER THE RED SUN OF THE BEACH CLOUDS AND COWS MOOING WHILE THEY EAT GRASS THAT IS SO GREEN FADL SHAKIR!

^ That's like the coolest DJ name to power of sick yo!
crow
Trance Officer
Trance Officer

Postby Qulture » Mon Mar 08, 2010 3:40 pm

^
LOL ... Khaled you need professional help immediately !!!

I dont like Rollin ... sorry Roland !! I also dont think its a good idea to add the DJ part before any name .. makes it look too thought of and cheesy ...

Roland is actually a cool name , or Roland B , or RLND B , or Rol And B ....

Edit : LOOOL , I cant stop laughing at Khaled's stupid DJ names !!!
Qulture
Trance FrEaK
Trance FrEaK

Postby Genesis » Mon Mar 08, 2010 5:03 pm

Roland, you are the only man I know whose name is Roland - actually there's also Roland Kleinenegerbererger.

I think it's a unique and catchy name and you have it naturally by default. I'll cast my votes with the lads here; Roland or Roland B are perfect for you. There's a musical ring to it and it's not like you have a really syllabically awkward name like Wolowitz, Hofstader, or Koothrappali....
Genesis
Psy FrEaK
Psy FrEaK

Postby TranceFusion » Mon Mar 08, 2010 6:21 pm

If you really love music, never use a name that is related to drugs. Anyway like Khaled said, i'd never link Rollin' to EDM but rather to R'n'B or Hip Hop. For some reason i'm now thinking of Limp Bizkit repeating in one of their old songs "keep rollin rollin rollin" :P

My vote is for Roland or Roland B :)
* Eternally Living In *
***A State Of Trance***

When you dream, there are no rules
People Can Fly
Anything can happen
TranceFusion
Ultimate Trancer
Ultimate Trancer

Postby crow » Mon Mar 08, 2010 6:25 pm

I say stick to just Roland. The whole first name and last name as an initial is getting way too popular. Pick something unique.
crow
Trance Officer
Trance Officer

Postby ziz00_909 » Mon Mar 08, 2010 7:02 pm

Last edited by ziz00_909 on Tue Mar 09, 2010 12:21 am, edited 1 time in total.
naturally Artificial!
ziz00_909
Certified Trancer
Certified Trancer

Postby Raneem » Mon Mar 08, 2010 11:27 pm

Rock'n'Rolland
Raneem
Ultimate Trancer
Ultimate Trancer

Postby Trancestral » Tue Mar 09, 2010 11:28 am

Abou el ROOR 0X
Trancestral
Often Trancer
Often Trancer

Postby mzy » Tue Mar 09, 2010 5:09 pm

Roland or Roland B. or Rowland ....

Rollin' is lame ... if I see this I'd think like "ok this guy tried to find a cool nickname that sounds good ... but in fact, it very lame and 'wozz' " ...

Dj Syphilis ... then you'll be able to play back2back with Dj Malaria and Dj Cholera & co .... (and hopefully one day you'll reach the almighty V-Mix, the creator of Trabectro...)
Minimal/Techno it is...
mzy
Certified Trancer
Certified Trancer

Postby Roland » Thu Mar 11, 2010 12:52 pm

Thanks everyone !!

KROW hahahaha your replies and nickname were so hilarious !!

Okay ill drop Rollin' .. the thing is that as you guys suggested Roland is a good name, but i prefer to have a nickname ... will thing about something else, well maybe i will pick Roland .. we'll see :)
Roland
Trance FrEaK
Trance FrEaK

Return to The Lounge